April 2, 09
What does it mean to be human?
-How are we classified in the taxonomy?
What does it mean to evolve?
-Darwin & Nat Sel.
Taxonomy- Carl Linnaeus
- father of modern taxonomy [plants/animals]
-“God created, Linnaeus organized”
ingdom, Phylum, Class, Order, Family Genus Specie
“Kittens prefer chicken or French girl scouts”
Biological Species Concept
-Species = groups of actually or potentially interbreeding natural populations which are productively isolated
from other such groups [
mules and donkeys are distinct species
-the only level Lennaean taxonomy that has a real world meaning, all others are arbitrarily defined for the
purpose of classification
group humans with greater apes at level of family [most consistent with how we evolved]
- we are all animals; organisms with cells having cell membrane but lacking cell wall, multi-
cellular, heterotrophic, mobile, having sense organs
- all animals with a notochord [like a spine] and gill slits at some point in their life cycle [fish]
- all animals with bony spinal column protecting the spinal cord and a cranium [dogs, lizards,
- mammals; vertebrates with mammary glands that in females secrete milk to nourish young, hair,
warm-blooded, bears live young,
- have different teeths [anything that milks; do NOT lay eggs]
- collar bones, eyes face forward, grasping hands with fingers/nails [instead of claws], stereoscopic
vision [depth perception/ overlap from one eye to another], decreased emphasis on olfaction, relatively large and