Chap_6-Volt-part2

Chap_6-Volt-part2 - Chapter 6 STS 101 Part 2 Depletion and...

Info icon This preview shows pages 1–9. Sign up to view the full content.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
Chapter 6 STS 101 Part 2 Depletion and Energy
Image of page 1

Info iconThis preview has intentionally blurred sections. Sign up to view the full version.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
Depletion and Technology What are the connections? Energy Efficiency Alternative technologies Economics
Image of page 2
Year 2100 2025 1950 1875 1800 0 20 40 60 80 100 Contribution to total energy consumption (percent) Wood Coal Oil Nuclear Hydrogen Solar Natural gas Shifting energy sources
Image of page 3

Info iconThis preview has intentionally blurred sections. Sign up to view the full version.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
US and Energy Use The US is the world’s largest energy user, with 4.6 % of the world’s population, it uses 24% of world energy. Typical citizens in the US consume as much energy in 3 months as citizens in developing countries consume in their lifetime!
Image of page 4
The Challenge Can we break our dependency on energy resources, such as coal and oil, without sacrificing our standard of living? 90% of the energy consumed in the US comes from fossil fuels. The other 10% comes from hydro and nuclear.
Image of page 5

Info iconThis preview has intentionally blurred sections. Sign up to view the full version.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
United States Nuclear power 8% Hydropower geothermal solar, wind 3% Biomass 3% Natural Gas 24% Oil 39% Coal 23%
Image of page 6
Dependence on Nonrenewable Fossil Fuels Current global and US dependence on nonrenewable fossil fuels is the primary cause of: air and water pollution land disruption greenhouse gas emissions – global warming
Image of page 7

Info iconThis preview has intentionally blurred sections. Sign up to view the full version.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
Can We Change?
Image of page 8
Image of page 9
This is the end of the preview. Sign up to access the rest of the document.

{[ snackBarMessage ]}

What students are saying

  • Left Quote Icon

    As a current student on this bumpy collegiate pathway, I stumbled upon Course Hero, where I can find study resources for nearly all my courses, get online help from tutors 24/7, and even share my old projects, papers, and lecture notes with other students.

    Student Picture

    Kiran Temple University Fox School of Business ‘17, Course Hero Intern

  • Left Quote Icon

    I cannot even describe how much Course Hero helped me this summer. It’s truly become something I can always rely on and help me. In the end, I was not only able to survive summer classes, but I was able to thrive thanks to Course Hero.

    Student Picture

    Dana University of Pennsylvania ‘17, Course Hero Intern

  • Left Quote Icon

    The ability to access any university’s resources through Course Hero proved invaluable in my case. I was behind on Tulane coursework and actually used UCLA’s materials to help me move forward and get everything together on time.

    Student Picture

    Jill Tulane University ‘16, Course Hero Intern