chapter2 - Chapter 2 Reading ELEMENTS AND COMPOUNDS Matter-...

Info iconThis preview shows pages 1–2. Sign up to view the full content.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
Chapter 2 Reading ELEMENTS AND COMPOUNDS Matter - anything that takes up space and has mass Element - substance that cannot be broken down to other substances by chemical reactions Compound - substance consisting of two or more different elements combined in a fixed ratio. ESSENTIAL ELEMENTS OF LIFE -25 natural elements essential to life -C, H, O, N makes up 96% of living matter -P, S, Ca, K and few others make up the remaining 4% - Trace Elements - needed only in minute quantities -Fe needed by all life -I needed by vertebrates to produce hormones in thyroid gland Subatomic Particles - Atom - smallest unit of matter that still retains the properties of an element - Dalton - the unit of measurement for subatomic particles -Neutron and Protons= 1 dalton ATOMIC NUMBER AND ATOMIC MASS -Atomic number - the number of protons - Mass number - sum of the protons and neutrons ISOTOPES - Isotopes - differ in the number of neutrons -Element occurs as a mixture of its isotopes - Radioactive Isotope
Background image of page 1

Info iconThis preview has intentionally blurred sections. Sign up to view the full version.

View Full DocumentRight Arrow Icon
Image of page 2
This is the end of the preview. Sign up to access the rest of the document.

This note was uploaded on 07/14/2009 for the course BILD BILD1 taught by Professor Bever during the Spring '08 term at UCSD.

Page1 / 2

chapter2 - Chapter 2 Reading ELEMENTS AND COMPOUNDS Matter-...

This preview shows document pages 1 - 2. Sign up to view the full document.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
Ask a homework question - tutors are online