D. R. Strong
Logistic Growth, life tables,, & age structure.
Density Independent Population Growth Review questions:
Complete the sentence.
1.The two rates that tend to increase N are: _birth rate___& immigration rate ____.
2.The two rates that tend to decrease N are: ____& ____.
3.Open (closed) populations include which rates ?
________,_________,________,& _________, (______ &_________)
4. Demography means? _____________(look at Wikipedia definition).
5. Define population density.
6.. We give credit to ___________for discovering the basic logic of population growth
with limits (hint, he had huge influence upon Darwin and Wallace regarding their
discovery of natural selection).
6. Which of the following understood the logic population growth with limits? Ancient
Greeks, Romans, the spectacularly powerful early Chinese societies,
philosophers, the great pre-medieval Islamic philosophers and mathematicians who
discovered the decimal system (note that the Romans were suffering with no more than
Roman numerals at this time and Europe was a little more than huddled mass cowering
before the Vikings during these times), the natural philosophers of 19
6. Recount Malthus’ syllogism of population (you may use modern spelling).
7. Write the finite, discrete formula for exponential (unlimited) population growth, and
8. Write the continuous, infinitesimal formula or model of unlimited population growth,
and define terms.
9. What is a key difference between these two formulas or models?
10. Write the formula that relates r to
11. Draw the minimum number of graphs (and label axes unambiguously) showing
population size through time for populations growing exponentially: with
=1, r>0, r<0, r=0.
10. How many graphs did you draw in 9 that are different one from another?
11. Why is the word “unambiguously” key to your graphs in 9.
12. Asking 11 a different way, how could your graphs in 9 have been drawn to be
ambiguous (ie. they might be right, sort of look that way, but we really can’t tell, etc.).