rec4problems - OR 2700, Spring'09 Section 4 Section 4 Feb...

Info iconThis preview shows pages 1–2. Sign up to view the full content.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
OR 2700, Spring’09 Section 4 Section 4 Feb 16 and Feb 17, 2009. Problem 1 (Devore 3.35) A small market orders copies of a certain magazine for its magazine rack each week. Let X = demand for the magazine, with pmf x 1 2 3 4 5 6 p(x) 1/15 2/15 3/15 4/15 3/15 2/15 Suppose the store owner actually pays $1.00 for each copy of the magazine and the price to customers is $2.00. If magazines left at the end of the week have no salvage value, is it better to order three or four copies of the magazine? ( Hint: For both three and four copies ordered, express net revenue as a function of demand X , and then compute the expected revenue.) Problem 2 (Devore 3.52, modified) Suppose that 30% of all students who have to buy a text for a particular course want a new copy, whereas the other 70% want a used copy. Consider randomly selecting 25 purchasers. a. What are the mean value and standard deviation of the number who want a new copy of the book? b.
Background image of page 1

Info iconThis preview has intentionally blurred sections. Sign up to view the full version.

View Full DocumentRight Arrow Icon
Image of page 2
This is the end of the preview. Sign up to access the rest of the document.

Page1 / 2

rec4problems - OR 2700, Spring'09 Section 4 Section 4 Feb...

This preview shows document pages 1 - 2. Sign up to view the full document.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
Ask a homework question - tutors are online