History 6B study guide - History 6B: Introduction to...

Info iconThis preview shows pages 1–3. Sign up to view the full content.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon

Info iconThis preview has intentionally blurred sections. Sign up to view the full version.

View Full DocumentRight Arrow Icon
This is the end of the preview. Sign up to access the rest of the document.

Unformatted text preview: History 6B: Introduction to Chinese History from the Mongols to Mao Spring 2009 Format of the midterm exam: 1. 6 ID questions (5% each, 30% in total) 2. Choice of 2 out of 3 essay questions (35% each, 70% in total) 3. Map ID question for extra credit (up to 5 points - see details below) Possible ID names and terms (30 in total): Chinggis Khan (Genghis Khan)- 1162-1227) Person who united the Mongols under a single leader and system of military/tribal divisions. Invaded Western Xia then later the Jin territory in Northeastern China. Created the basis on which the Yuan dynasty would be formed and created the khanite system throughout Asia and Europe. Relied on calvary tactics and military superiority to inact a policy of conquest in which cities were destroyed and people enslaved. Khubilai Khan- (1215-94) r. (1271-94) created the Yuan dynasty as part of the Khanate he inherited from Genghis. Moved capital to Beijing, adopted Chinese institutions of bureaucracy and some racial ceremonies/ social ceremonies that demonstrated the power of the ruler. Tried to invade Japan twice in 1274 and 81. Took control of Tibet, and consolidated power to make the Yuan dynasty strong. Eliminated the last of the Southern song by 1279 and took up the position of Chinese emperor. Marco Polo- (1254-1324) was in China 1275-1292 during the reign of Khubilai Khan who wrote the Travels of Marco Polo which recorded his account of his time in China. Controversial whether or not he went to China or just collected stories from people he met during his time in prison. Told stories about being a minor official and other such details that excited the European imagination about China, and is the most detailed description of Chinese lifestyles of this timeperiod. The Romance of the West Chamber- Drama by Wang Shifu (1260-1336) in which a young scholar and a chief ministers daughter fall in love and the scholar has to go through several tests to finally earn her hand. Written in the Yuan dynasty and set in the Tang. Scholar must drive away the bandits with his childhood friend (a general) and also pass the civil service examination to get the families consent for marriage. Displays the values of the bureaucratic system but also the longing for marriages of choice over pre-arranged ones. Like most dramatic works it is representative of the time period in which it is written. Zhu Yuanzhang (Hongwu)- (1328-98) first emperor of the Ming dynasty, came to power through his position as a strong general and spouse of the head rebels daughter. R. (1368-98) concentrated power in himself as the emperor, reduced the size of the bureaucracy and encouraged construction of incredibly strong city walls. Concentration of power was bad in some ways however as China was too large to be efficiently managed by one person, and this led to more eunuchs and eunuch power. Hongwu also was heavily anti-corruption based on his experiences as a lower class person and developed an efficient way of book-keeping...
View Full Document

Page1 / 6

History 6B study guide - History 6B: Introduction to...

This preview shows document pages 1 - 3. Sign up to view the full document.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
Ask a homework question - tutors are online