{[ promptMessage ]}

Bookmark it

{[ promptMessage ]}

Fuel%20Economy

Fuel%20Economy - Measuring Vehicle Emissions Fuel economy...

Info icon This preview shows pages 1–11. Sign up to view the full content.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
Measuring Vehicle Emissions Fuel economy standard : limits CO 2 emissions (greenhouse gas) and reduces need for crude oil. City & highway driving . Air pollution standards : limit emissions of CO, hydrocarbons, nitrogen oxides (NO x ) & soot/smoke (PM). City driving only .
Image of page 1

Info icon This preview has intentionally blurred sections. Sign up to view the full version.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
“City Driving”
Image of page 2
“Highway Driving”
Image of page 3

Info icon This preview has intentionally blurred sections. Sign up to view the full version.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
Adjusted Fuel Economy EPA adjusts laboratory test results because drivers find their actual fuel economy is lower (worse) than values measured in the lab Following slides show only unadjusted laboratory values
Image of page 4
Fuel Economy Trends 1
Image of page 5

Info icon This preview has intentionally blurred sections. Sign up to view the full version.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
Combined (City + Highway) FE COMB = 1 0.55 FE CITY + 0.45 FE HWY Assumes 55% of total miles driven under city driving conditions; remaining 45% on highway
Image of page 6
Fuel Economy Trends 2
Image of page 7

Info icon This preview has intentionally blurred sections. Sign up to view the full version.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
Combined (Car + Truck) FE COMB = 1 S CAR FE CAR + (1 " S CAR ) FE TRUCK S CAR is car fraction of new vehicle sales in a specific year (now about ~50% nationally). The balance is trucks (pickups, vans & SUVs)
Image of page 8
Fuel Economy Trends 3
Image of page 9

Info icon This preview has intentionally blurred sections. Sign up to view the full version.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
3 Staff also calculated the nationwide cumulative CO 2 benefits achieved by California’s rules and
Image of page 10
Image of page 11
This is the end of the preview. Sign up to access the rest of the document.

{[ snackBarMessage ]}

What students are saying

  • Left Quote Icon

    As a current student on this bumpy collegiate pathway, I stumbled upon Course Hero, where I can find study resources for nearly all my courses, get online help from tutors 24/7, and even share my old projects, papers, and lecture notes with other students.

    Student Picture

    Kiran Temple University Fox School of Business ‘17, Course Hero Intern

  • Left Quote Icon

    I cannot even describe how much Course Hero helped me this summer. It’s truly become something I can always rely on and help me. In the end, I was not only able to survive summer classes, but I was able to thrive thanks to Course Hero.

    Student Picture

    Dana University of Pennsylvania ‘17, Course Hero Intern

  • Left Quote Icon

    The ability to access any university’s resources through Course Hero proved invaluable in my case. I was behind on Tulane coursework and actually used UCLA’s materials to help me move forward and get everything together on time.

    Student Picture

    Jill Tulane University ‘16, Course Hero Intern