chapter 13 TD

chapter 13 TD - We presently are using natural gas(21...

Info iconThis preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full content.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
We presently are using natural gas (21%), coal (22%), oil (33%), biomass (11%), nuclear power (6%), and hydropower, geothermal, solar, wind (7%); these resources make up a total of 1% of the energy used in the world. The remaining 99% is from the sun. After I looked at the trade-offs listed, there are both advantages and disadvantages of them, since each resource is supporting our lives and make improvements to the technologies, but those would make a huge damage to our environment and we will use them up really quickly, especially in United States, the United States is the world’s largest energy consumer. The USA is using almost one- fourth of the world’s energy which it only contributes 4.6% of the world’s population. We have to save up resources and make less population, in the same time, we have to find substitute too, if not we have nothing to support our lives in one day. The conventional oil supplies could last for 42-93 years, the conventional natural gas should last the world for 62-125 years, and the coal could last for 214-1,125 years. Those are the average of estimate and still depend on the rate of usage.
Background image of page 1
This is the end of the preview. Sign up to access the rest of the document.

This note was uploaded on 09/18/2009 for the course BIO 120 taught by Professor Staff during the Fall '07 term at USC.

Ask a homework question - tutors are online