PROBLEMS - 9/9/09 7:08 PM McGraw-Hill's Connect - Ebook...

Info iconThis preview shows pages 1–3. Sign up to view the full content.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon

Info iconThis preview has intentionally blurred sections. Sign up to view the full version.

View Full DocumentRight Arrow Icon
This is the end of the preview. Sign up to access the rest of the document.

Unformatted text preview: 9/9/09 7:08 PM McGraw-Hill's Connect - Ebook Page 1 of 14 http://connect.mcgraw-hill.com/connect/hmEBook.do?setTab=sectionTabs Managerial Accounting EBook 13/e Content Chapter3: Systems Design: Job-Order Costing Problems PROBLEM 3- 21 Cost Flows; T-Accounts; Income Statement [ LO3 , LO5 , LO7 , LO8 ] Supreme Videos, Inc., produces short musical videos for sale to retail outlets. The company's balance sheet accounts as of January 1, the beginning of its fiscal year, are given on the following page. Because the videos differ in length and in complexity of production, the company uses a job-order costing system to determine the cost of each video produced. Studio (manufacturing) overhead is charged to videos on the basis of camera-hours of activity. At the beginning of the year, the company estimated that it would work 7,000 camera-hours and incur $280,000 in studio overhead cost. The following transactions were recorded for the year: p. 128 9/9/09 7:08 PM McGraw-Hill's Connect - Ebook Page 2 of 14 http://connect.mcgraw-hill.com/connect/hmEBook.do?setTab=sectionTabs a. Film, costumes, and similar raw materials purchased on account, $185,000. b. Film, costumes, and other raw materials issued to production, $200,000 (85% of this material was considered direct to the videos in production, and the other 15% was considered indirect). c. Utility costs incurred in the production studio, $72,000. d. Depreciation recorded on the studio, cameras, and other equipment, $84,000. Three-fourths of this depreciation related to actual production of the videos, and the remainder related to equipment used in marketing and administration. e. Advertising expense incurred, $130,000. f. Costs for salaries and wages were incurred as follows: g. Prepaid insurance expired during the year, $7,000 (80% related to production of videos, and 20% related to marketing and administrative activities). h. Miscellaneous marketing and administrative expenses incurred, $8,600. i. Studio (manufacturing) overhead was applied to videos in production. The company recorded 7,250 camera-hours of activity during the year. j. Videos that cost $550,000 to produce according to their job cost sheets were transferred to the finished videos warehouse to await sale and shipment. k. Sales for the year totaled $925,000 and were all on account. The total cost to produce these videos according to their job cost sheets was $600,000. l. Collections from customers during the year totaled $850,000. m. Payments to suppliers on account during the year, $500,000; payments to employees for salaries and wages, $285,000. Required: 1. Prepare a T-account for each account on the company's balance sheet and enter the beginning balances....
View Full Document

This note was uploaded on 09/18/2009 for the course ACC 3023 taught by Professor Dennislopez during the Spring '09 term at Abraham Baldwin Agricultural College.

Page1 / 14

PROBLEMS - 9/9/09 7:08 PM McGraw-Hill's Connect - Ebook...

This preview shows document pages 1 - 3. Sign up to view the full document.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
Ask a homework question - tutors are online