Exam_solutions_3_A

Exam_solutions_3_A - ‘ 849% Name Section Math 110,Exam 3A...

Info iconThis preview shows pages 1–4. Sign up to view the full content.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
Background image of page 1

Info iconThis preview has intentionally blurred sections. Sign up to view the full version.

View Full DocumentRight Arrow Icon
Background image of page 2
Background image of page 3

Info iconThis preview has intentionally blurred sections. Sign up to view the full version.

View Full DocumentRight Arrow Icon
Background image of page 4
This is the end of the preview. Sign up to access the rest of the document.

Unformatted text preview: ‘ 849% Name Section Math 110,Exam 3A May 3,2004 Show all work! [8] 1. Let P(A) = .35 and P(B) = .45. If A and B are mutually exclusive events, find the following. a) P(AUB) b) P(AnB) 219(A)+P(5) fill :0 —~_; 4’ = (7.35 rosy : ——~—-> 2i [9] 2. A game consists of a player rolling one 4-sided die and drawing one card from a stack of 6 cards. The die has the numbers 1,2,3,or 4 respectively on its faces while the cards are printed with the letters A,B,C,D,E,or F respectively. a) Write a sample space of equally likely events that includes all possible outcomes for one player’s turn at the game. §={1Ar1/‘\,3AI4A1’5/15/35,+B,/C,3 c,3c,+c / 10,20,311“), IE,ZE,SE,+E,IF, 2.5.x, 4F 3 l b) List the elements in the event M, that the player rolls an even number and draws a consonant. l /:> 3 M={2v3,2c, 21111:, 4B,?C,4D,4Fl c) Find the probability of rolling an odd number, given that you roll a number less than 4. pacing a mutt/m1 W4) = Paola: (at at; z #4) {’(nu a a <4) 2 ¢-3_ :lvj 4‘, [16 3. Circle the correct answer T a)Given sample space S ={x,y,z}, then P(x)=.7, P(y)=.3 and P(z)=.4, is a valid probability assignment. @ F (b) If there is a 60% chance of rain today, then there is a 40% that it will not rain today. T c) The conditional probability of E given F is P(E l F) = P(EuF)/P(F). d) The probability that Susan will play the lottery and win is equal to the probability that Susan will win given that she played. T F (e) If the event E is impossible, then P(E) = 0. T’®(t) Events A and B are independent if P(AUB)=P(A) + P(B). F (g) When interest is compounded, interest is paid on previously earned interest. (h) Investing at 8%, compounded quarterly, is better than investing at 8% simple interest. ‘ I (12) 4. A realtor has 12 houses to sell. During a given week, 4 of the houses are advertise elevision, 6 on thenzadio, and 2 on both radio and television. a) Find the probability that a randomly selected house is advertised on radio. £4. “sag {1‘1 b) Find the probability that a randomly selected house is advertised on the radio or television (or both). New): Pow P/r)~ wen r) a”) 2' ‘ A f i K i T. film/(yon ‘ {-1 p’ ‘1 |_ R: RAUL) \ j z 3. > 2 “ 1.1 5 0) Are the events “advertised on the radio” and “advertised on television” independent? (SHOW COMPUTATIONS.) Poemfii’ié x _ /72 -16. iaLL j§P(pnr)‘P(k)Pcr) WW)“ (2 o. v.5 ~ AU *9 2' (8) 5. The probability that Mary will buy a new book this weekend is 30%. The probability that Mary will wash her%ar this weekend is 60%. Assuming that Mary’s purchase of a new book is independent of her washing her car, what is the probability that Mary will either wash her car or buy a new book (or both) this “$33203 3(7 (“éme of 8 M1 3}] *9 3) FCc):o.(, [NMCFFW f(c)=0.5 (0.0-0.: F(5UC)‘F03>+P(C)~}>(s/ic) \, 3’ 1‘0.6~0.|3:0.72’\> Z, (8) 6. Of registered voters in a community, 55% are Republicans, and 30% are Republicans AND favor building a new jail. If a registered voter is selected at random, find the probability that the person favors building a new jail, given that they are Republican. ' PG 0 g) :93 “'91 ) P02) toss— -> 1' "/l2 03 F0 A?) = H J = "’ = 05¢;- (6) 7. Calculate the expected value of X for the given probability distribution: 0v" #9 X -5 -1 0 7 9 1o P(X) .05 .2 .15 .1 .3 .2 at Luv WW ‘\ EX :(fS‘NWS'j/t (0/5] 74 my 7 9(0.j)/> 5' Jr (0(o.2) : 4e95- __a /: Part II: For each of the following problems state the formula needed to solve the problem and identify the value of each known variable. Then find the answer to the questiOn. Calculate to the nearest cent, nearest .01 %, or round to the 4“I decimal place. A typical answer might be: FV= 20,0000 + .07/12)48 = $26,441.08 (6) 8. $4575 was invested at 3.2% simple annual interest for 5 years. What is the future value of this investment? \ PV'JQLI'U' { ad‘ {:0032 FVWVUT Vb) M 2’ it? 2‘ 4%? (1+ 0052(5)) FV“. =50] «M /' (6) 9. A $7500 investment earns $875 in 5 years. What is the annual rate of simple interest? Pv=7roa _” ": 2 I? 575’ 57k =75‘ovm’) 5' i \(37 Y:0\025:g.)77 _.._> /, 1' each rnom m_ INT=PVrt FV=PV(1+rt) FV=PV(1+7%)"" ref/=(1+ m ) 1 (5) 10. What is the effective annual rate of an account ofi‘ering 025% daily interest, compounded daily? g e°1’ (‘ 7'0 f0 ’0 6‘ yd: 2 (if :nm) “/ We? 2 Ynom:0‘owzy X 3U» j MUG}- \i’< : “0% ‘5" NZ I : 047002;)36314 >[’ (8) l 1. If $2000 is deposited in a savings account paying an annual rate of 6%, compounded quarterly, how much will in the account at the end of 15 years? PV=2000 ' Cfld‘l Y:0\(}(} I mlq 405) tzls 32000 C H : 4273 6430 “Map /’ (8) 12. Inflation has been running at 4% per year. Grass Mulcher lawn mowers costs $625 today. What did a comparable lawn mower cost 7 years ago? YW‘U‘F _ Fl/ . 7 j’ W mm W“ MW“ m i w ma! ' (#00507 [>VI? :: HONOR PLEDGE: I pledge on my honor that l have not given or received any unauthorized assistance on this examination or assignment. Please write the exact wording of the pledge, followed by your signature, in the space below: Signature N_Mw_.—r—__fim——r———_Wm ...
View Full Document

Page1 / 4

Exam_solutions_3_A - ‘ 849% Name Section Math 110,Exam 3A...

This preview shows document pages 1 - 4. Sign up to view the full document.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
Ask a homework question - tutors are online