This preview has intentionally blurred sections. Sign up to view the full version.View Full Document
Unformatted text preview: Asian Studies 10A
MIDTERM -— Part 1 Identiﬁcations:
Choose 40 (and only 40) of the questions below to answer. Identify your answer with the number of the question. Each answer is worth 1.5 points. Total points for section = 60 points 1. Whose royal Nam-Viet tomb has been excavated in the city of Canton?
2. Name one other important Confucian thinker other than Confucius. 3. What was the name of the first line of kings (not lords), beginning in the seventh century BCE, in ancient
Vietnam? 4. Name either the French or British explorer who “rescued” manuscripts from Dunhuang. @What religion characterized as a protest to Hinduism was introduced into China around the early 1st
century of this era? 6. What is the eariiest Chinese dynasty for which there is historical evidence? 7. Name one medium or material on which ancient Chinese divinations were inscribed. 8. Give the name of two “Silk Road” religions. 9. What name have archaeologists given to the ancient Vietnamese culture that produced bronze drums and
other bronze implements? 10. What are the two major river systems in the north and south of China? 11. Name one of the great “Hindu” epics.
12. To which language families do Chinese and Vietnamese belong? 13. Name an archaeological site in China that provides evidence of a bronze culture that was separate from
but contemporaneous with the Shang. (fiAccording to Hinduism, what are the Four Pursuits of Man? Brieﬂy define them. 15. Name the modem—day Chinese province whose territory corresponds largely with that of the ancient
kingdom of Nam—Viet? 16. Which school of thought were ofﬁcials of the Han dynasty trained in? 17. What was the name Han dynasty Chinese called the “barbarian” groups that gathered on their northern
borders? . 18. Name an archaeological site associated with early (and probably pre-Indo-European) civilization in the
Indus River valley. 19. Name the ﬁrst Indian ruler to embrace and sponsor Buddhism. 20. Who was the great writer of history during the Han dynasty? 21. Name one of the figures from ancient Chinese mythology. 22. What classical Indian language was used in the writing of ancient texts, such as the Vedas, and some of
the Buddhist scrolls found at Dunhuang? 23. What was the major agricultural crop in the north of China OR in the south (be speciﬁc about Whether
you are talking about the north or south). 24. Name one of the “Hundred Schools of Thought” other than Confucianism and Daoism (or give the
name of an important philosopher from another school of thought). 25. What was constructed during the Sui dynasty that aided in the economic and political integration of
China? 26. Name two of the four major pan—Hindu gods. 27. What type of bronze artifact is most closely associated with the ritual practices of early Vietnam?
28. Name the capital of the Sui and Tang dynasties? and give the present name of this city. 29. Whose tomb was the 8000-strong terracotta army meant to protect? 30. Name the woman who was a concubine to two Chinese emperors and later seized the throne for herself. ,/\ 610 what ethnolinguistic group did the early occupants of Cambodia belong?
32. What was the name of the Javanese kingdom responsible for the of Borobudur?
33. Who uniﬁed the Cambodian empire and established a capital at Phnom Kulen?
34. What was the name of the city established by Jayavannan VII? 65) Which part of what is now Thailand did travelers cross to reach the Bay of Bengal or the Gulf of
Thailand? ® The image on the towers of the Bayou represents a king of Angkor and what Bodhisattva? @To which language group does Burmese belong? 51. Name the work of epic Hindu literature that illustrates the concept of dbama using the story of
how a virtuous man became 52. What is the name for the huge reservoirs at Angkor built to help control the water resources from
the Great Lake? 53. What is the name of the mythical animal that takes the form of a nine—headed cobra in
Cambodian culture and a dragon in Chinese culture? 55. Who conquered Angkor in 1177 CE P anavarman VII swore to take revenge on them)
@Name the two predominant ethno-linguistic groups in the ancient Indian subcontinent. 57. What is the school of Buddhism that claims to follow the original teachings of Buddha. @What is the name of the ancient kingdom that extended from what is now Southwestern
Cambodia along the coastline as far as southern Burma? @Name the most common zoomorphic, bronze used in art during the Shang era.
60. What is the correct theological term for the cycle of life, death and rebirth? 61. Name the Greco—Central Asian kingdom where the iconography of Buddhism was ﬁrst
developed. is the school of Buddhism that assigns a positive role to material things and pleasure as 10ng
as they are pursued in a sophisticated and learned manner? 64. What is the most important archaeological site for studying Shang culture? (It was also the capital
during this dynasty). 63. Name one of the two royal lineages that fought for control of Central Java during the 8th—9d‘
century CE. 64. What is the title of the great text of Daoism?
65. Who is considered responsible for reconciling the teachings of the Ru and Mo schools? 66. Who is the Emperor who ruled over the Golden Age of Tang, and was later exiled following a
coup by a Turkic general? 67. What religion did Marco Polo discover as enjoying widespread popularity among the inhabitants
of Mongolia and the Ordos?
68. Who is considered the father of Legalism? 69. What is the Hindu term for the cessation of the cycle of rebirth? 70. What South Asian island played a pivotal role in the preservation, development and spread of
Buddhism? Short Answers:
Choose 10 (and only 10) of the terms below to define. Each deﬁnition is worth 4 points. Total point value of section = 40 points 1; Stupa 2. TianXia 3. Wang Daoshi @ac Long Quan 5. Tonle Satéjioueroble Truths @‘Final Piety
’ .‘ oddhisattva 9. Steppe 10. Siniﬁcation 11. jataka T4u®Angkm [email protected]
@Mt. Meru 15. Worobudur 17. MWhams 19. Yijing 20. Laozi ...
View Full Document