3_27_07 - March 27, 2007 Biology 130 Genetics Linkage...

Info iconThis preview shows pages 1–2. Sign up to view the full content.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
March 27, 2007 Biology 130 Genetics Linkage Punnett squares for multiple traits only work for characteristics that are independently inherited. There is no linkage between the traits Chromosomes are also called linkage groups Fruit flies have 4 chromosomes For linked characters, you have to make a Punnett square with the chromosomes Look at 2 page writeup - figure 15.4 Get hybrids – look at chromosomes 90% chance for first two chances 10% chance for crossing over 0.45 for each of the first two traits 0.05 for the recombinant traits purple ones are the crossing over possibilities purple = recombinants 100% chance for the male to give the same gene only has black and vestigial wings Black b, vestigial wings vg Same, even with recombinant White b + , normal wings vg + b + b, vg + vg Black b, vestigial wigs, vg bb, vgvg White b + , vestigial wings vg b + b, vgvg Black b, normal wings vg + bb, vg + vg
Background image of page 1

Info iconThis preview has intentionally blurred sections. Sign up to view the full version.

View Full DocumentRight Arrow Icon
If on different chromosomes, the traits would have been equally distributed. The
Background image of page 2
This is the end of the preview. Sign up to access the rest of the document.

This note was uploaded on 09/29/2009 for the course NPB NPB 101 taught by Professor Weidner/wingfield during the Spring '08 term at UC Davis.

Page1 / 2

3_27_07 - March 27, 2007 Biology 130 Genetics Linkage...

This preview shows document pages 1 - 2. Sign up to view the full document.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
Ask a homework question - tutors are online