Unformatted text preview: 8/26/2009 Lecture 1 Psych 133: The Psychology of Sleep 1 8/26/2009 Lecture 1
This thing called sleep – vignettes of Psych133 Why?
Body… What, Who,
Much? SLEEP Dreaming,
Disorders Lecture 1 Psych 133: The Psychology of Sleep GSI’s: Jennifer Kanady: [email protected]
Brian Meyer: [email protected]
Zachary Rosner: [email protected]
Wilbur ("Trey") Williams: [email protected]
Elizabeth Ascher: [email protected] Instructor: Prof. Matthew Walker 2 8/26/2009 Lecture 1
Time: MONTime: MON-WED 2-3PM
Location: 155 DWINELLE
Discussion Sections: 1hr/wk; starting WEEK 2 (i.e. next week!)
• You must sign up for an open/available discussion section to aid
getting into the course (see 1st announcement for details) Psych133 Website: https://bspace.berkeley.edu
GSI Office Hours: Announced by each in discussion sections.
Instructor (Matt Walker) Office Hours: TUES 3:50-5:50PM [Tolman 3331]
3:50- Lecture 1
• Grade comes from 3 different sources:
1) Exams: Three, non-cumulative “midterm” exams will be
Exams: Three, nonadministered. The average of the best two test scores will be
taken as the exam score, with this average comprising 70% of
the final grade.
2) Sleep Outreach Project: which will comprise 20% of the
3) Discussion section attendance/participation: which will
comprise 10% of the final grade.
*Note on class attendance and section attendance 3 8/26/2009 Lecture 1
• Multiple Choice Questions
• The exams will not be cumulative
• All exams will be closed book
• Bring scantron GREEN!
**NOTE** You are required to take all three exams (even with the
average of the best two. If you don’t, you’ll receive a 15% deduction off
the total 70%)
**NOTE** There will be no grade changes except for clerical errors Lecture 1
Sleep Outreach Project (20% grade)
• Your goal is to help educate others about sleep, sleep
deprivation and sleep disorders by creating a newspaper
article, video, brochure or an exciting idea of your own.
(More details to come in the discussion sections)
• Due date: Dec 2nd, 5PM 4 8/26/2009 Lecture 1
Reader (No textbook)
• All PDF materials within reader (listed
on the syllabus) have been posted on
bSpace course website – read
• All web links for reader are listen in
• All lectures will be posted on bSpace
site 48-24hr prior to the lecture – print
48in note form and listen ;) Lecture 1
Course Structure: 3 segments (exam after each, revision lecture before before) 1. Sleep Basics*
Neurobiology 2. Sleep &
The good - benefits
The bad - deprivation 3. Dreaming &
* some neuroscience
**detailed, cutting edge research papers Freud—>Brain
Clinical disorders 5 8/26/2009 Lecture 1
Section Next Week
• Pay attention to your sleep in the coming week.
• Start getting use to logging:
• What time you go to bed?
• What time you wake up?
• Whether you woke during the night?
• If and how often do you nap?
• If an how often do you drink alcohol and caffeine
• (you can also try writing down some dreams…)
• More details to come in section and via bSpace Lecture 1 Questions …? 6 8/26/2009 Lecture 1 See you on Monday……
Lecture 2 Sleep Basics
What | When | How
(…do we measure it)
it) 7 ...
View Full Document
This note was uploaded on 10/05/2009 for the course PSYCH 133 taught by Professor Mathewwalker during the Fall '09 term at Berkeley.
- Fall '09