MKTG 649, Fall 2009, Exam I Review Questions – Page 1 of 12
MKTG 649: Marketing Management, Fall 2009
Exam I Review Questions
Exam date: Wed, Sep 23, 2009(bring Scantron®).
These questions are illustrative. In addition to studying this set, you should also consult the relevant chapters of
your text and your lectures notes.
Review this set and feel free to discuss with me, should you have any questions or concerns.
Chapter 1 – Defining Marketing for the Twenty-First Century
1. Marketing __________ is the art and science of choosing target markets and getting, keeping, and growing customers
through creating, delivering, and communicating superior customer value.
2. The computer __________ consists of the manufacturers of computer memory chips, monitors, keyboards, coaxial
cables, modems, software, storage systems (disks, hard drives, portable USB media), and those who install, repair, and
maintain systems and software.
3. Which is true?
a. Marketers create needs.
b. A person’s need for food or shelter is a creation of marketers.
c. Wants become needs when they are directed at specific objects that might satisfy the want.
d. Needs pre-exist marketers.
e. Demand strictly means desire for some object.
4. __________ is a combination of quality, service, and price.
a. The customer value triad
b. The consumer cost-benefit ratio
c. A customer satisfaction level
e. Benefit evaluation
5. Which of the following is a part of the distribution channel for a producer of bottled water?
a. The toll-free number it uses for customer orders.
b. The print media that runs its advertisements.
c. The retail store where bottled water is sold.
d. The bank where it borrowed the money to purchase its filtration system.
e. The insurance company that insures the company in the event of litigation.
6. Intel, one of the largest producers of integrated circuit chips, puts a great deal of effort into expanding production of
chips to drive down the cost and thus expand the market. This is most indicative of the __________ concept.