{[ promptMessage ]}

Bookmark it

{[ promptMessage ]}

Pop.+Gen+QUestion+2

Pop.+Gen+QUestion+2 - Population Gen Study Questions...

Info icon This preview shows pages 1–3. Sign up to view the full content.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
-1- Population Gen. Study Questions Population Genetics 1. A scientist is studying the frequency of color alleles and genotypes in the peppered moth around the city of Manchester in England. In 1980, she finds that the frequency of the a allele in that population = .2. Peppered moths are an annual species, with one generation per year. If Hardy-Weinberg conditions apply to this population, the expected frequencies for aa, Aa and AA genotypes the next year would be: frequency of aa genotype = frequency of Aa genotype = frequency of AA genotype = This scientist comes back to this population in 1995, and records the colors of 4000 moths. She finds that 12% of these moths generation are gray, and the rest (88%) are dark. How do these results compare to the results predicted by a Hardy-Weinberg equilibrium model? Is this population in an equilibrium state? Given what you know about this species, suggest a reason for this result. 2. Imagine that budgerigars practice strict positive assortative mating, such that green birds only mate with green birds, while blue birds only choose blue mates. A breeder places 40 blue birds (yy) and 60 homozygous green birds (YY, Yy) together in a large flight cage. In this parental generation, what is the frequency of the y allele? of the Y allele? If the birds practiced strict positive assortative mating, what would be the frequency of the YY, Yy and yy genotypes in the offspring generation? (Hint: allow each mating pair to make 4 babies and count up the offspring genotypes.) What would be the frequency of the y and Y alleles in the offspring generation? How do these results compare to the situation expected if budgies fit all of the required conditions for Hardy-Weinberg equilibrium?
Image of page 1

Info icon This preview has intentionally blurred sections. Sign up to view the full version.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
-2- 3. In contrast to the last question, imagine that all budgerigars prefer green to blue mates. As a result, green birds are more likely to obtain high quality, experienced mates, while blue birds would be more likely to end up with poor, inexperienced mates, or with no mate at all. In this situation, which phenotype is likely to have higher reproductive success? How would the process described here affect the frequency of blue and green phenotypes in successive generations, as opposed to the distribution of phenotypes predicted by a Hardy-Weinberg equilibrium model? 4. Which of the following phenotypic traits provide an example of quantitative inheritance (more than one answer is possible)? Hint : you know something about the genetic basis of some of these characters; for the others, what would you predict about the shape of the distribution? How do the shapes of the distributions for quantitative characters and single gene characters differ?
Image of page 2
Image of page 3
This is the end of the preview. Sign up to access the rest of the document.

{[ snackBarMessage ]}

What students are saying

  • Left Quote Icon

    As a current student on this bumpy collegiate pathway, I stumbled upon Course Hero, where I can find study resources for nearly all my courses, get online help from tutors 24/7, and even share my old projects, papers, and lecture notes with other students.

    Student Picture

    Kiran Temple University Fox School of Business ‘17, Course Hero Intern

  • Left Quote Icon

    I cannot even describe how much Course Hero helped me this summer. It’s truly become something I can always rely on and help me. In the end, I was not only able to survive summer classes, but I was able to thrive thanks to Course Hero.

    Student Picture

    Dana University of Pennsylvania ‘17, Course Hero Intern

  • Left Quote Icon

    The ability to access any university’s resources through Course Hero proved invaluable in my case. I was behind on Tulane coursework and actually used UCLA’s materials to help me move forward and get everything together on time.

    Student Picture

    Jill Tulane University ‘16, Course Hero Intern