Lecture-4 - Liver Functions 1 Detoxification of drugs and...

Info iconThis preview shows pages 1–6. Sign up to view the full content.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
1 Liver: Functions 1. Detoxification of drugs and toxins 2. Formation of bile (required for absorption of fats and fat- soluble vitamins) 3. Manufacture of plasma proteins (albumin & blood clotting proteins) 4. Urea formation (from ammonia and CO 2 ) 5. Metabolism of carbohydrates (glycolysis) and cholesterol (eg. VLDL)
Background image of page 1

Info iconThis preview has intentionally blurred sections. Sign up to view the full version.

View Full DocumentRight Arrow Icon
2 Liver: Anatomy • Liver receives 25-30% of cardiac output of blood (portal vein supplies 75% of that while hepatic artery supplies the remaining 25%) • Liver structure is organized into lobules. • Blood flows from portal vein/hepatic artery into sinusoids. This is where contact with hepatocytes occurs. Blood then flows to the central veins of each lobule and these merge to form the hepatic vein that drains into the vena cava. Each hepatocyte is also in contact with several bile canaliculi that merge to form the hepatic ducts that carry bile to the gallbladder. • Oxygen tension issue (portal vein has already passed through intestinal circulation) • Low resistance shunts connecting the junction of the portal vein & hepatic artery to the terminal hepatic venule, bypassing the sinusoids. This allows portal vein blood to reach systemic circulation when perfusion pressure is low. This can affect drug clearance by the liver.
Background image of page 2
3
Background image of page 3

Info iconThis preview has intentionally blurred sections. Sign up to view the full version.

View Full DocumentRight Arrow Icon
4
Background image of page 4
5 Kidney: Functions 1. Remove body wastes and water-soluble toxins 2. Maintain water and electrolyte balance 3. Maintain acid/base balance 4. Endocrine functions (renin, renal erythropoietic factor)
Background image of page 5

Info iconThis preview has intentionally blurred sections. Sign up to view the full version.

View Full DocumentRight Arrow Icon
Image of page 6
This is the end of the preview. Sign up to access the rest of the document.

This note was uploaded on 11/04/2009 for the course BIO 365D taught by Professor Mihic during the Spring '08 term at University of Texas.

Page1 / 13

Lecture-4 - Liver Functions 1 Detoxification of drugs and...

This preview shows document pages 1 - 6. Sign up to view the full document.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
Ask a homework question - tutors are online