Ireland - Ireland Ireland is a country in Europe with a...

Info iconThis preview shows pages 1–2. Sign up to view the full content.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
Ireland Ireland is a country in Europe with a coast on the Atlantic Ocean. It is called the Emerald Isle because of its green color. Its people derived mainly from Great Britain. Most of the population is Roman Catholic. The Climate is much like ours. l The republic of Ireland covers 83% of its stand with the other 17% containing the country of Northern Ireland. There are twenty-six counties in the Republic with the over-all capitol of Dublin. The six northeastern counties form the county of Northern Ireland which is actually connected to the republic. Northern Ireland is part of the United Kingdom, where as the republic is not. The whole Island was under British rule before 1922. The island containing the Republic of Ireland and Northern Ireland, is separated by the original ruling country of Great Britain by way of the Irish Sea. w Ireland is actually a detached fragment from the European Mainland. Most of the country is 500 ft. above sea level. The surface of the country is covered by glacial drift from the Pleistocene ice age. This period left eskers, or long gavel ridges, and drumlins or small hills that were left behind by the glaciers. You can find the start of this belt in the west of the country by Clew Bay. It continues across the country. a In the south of Ireland, there is a series of parallel ridges of Devonian sandstone. The ridges rise in elevation westward and lead up to Carrantuohill, the
Background image of page 1

Info iconThis preview has intentionally blurred sections. Sign up to view the full version.

View Full DocumentRight Arrow Icon
Image of page 2
This is the end of the preview. Sign up to access the rest of the document.

This note was uploaded on 11/19/2009 for the course ENG 102 taught by Professor Wilis during the Fall '08 term at Academy of Art University.

Page1 / 2

Ireland - Ireland Ireland is a country in Europe with a...

This preview shows document pages 1 - 2. Sign up to view the full document.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
Ask a homework question - tutors are online