Presentation Outline

Presentation Outline - 1950s Tech maintained three schools...

Info iconThis preview shows pages 1–3. Sign up to view the full content.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
1950s Tech maintained three schools – the School of Agriculture; the School of Engineering (1955 – became the School of Engineering and Architecture); and the School of Applied Science and Business Administration Student evaluations and faculty tenure originated in the 1950s. - 1953 – President Newman realized a change needed to be made with respect to faculty personnel. - Tech was criticized for not having a tenure policy. Newman appointed a faculty committee and they drafted a policy statement. The board of visitors quickly adopted the new way of hiring/firing faculty. - 1950s – Tech put into place a system that evolved a bit but persisted in the 1990s. How it worked: First, there was a probationary period. Once completed, faculty would be retained or let go. If retained, it was considered job security. As mentioned in lecture, this is how assistant professors became tenured – they first had to satisfy stringent criteria for retention. Charlie L. Yates (African-American) – one of six honors graduates in ME at VPI – graduated in 1958 students) - Tech banned black undergraduates in the 1950’s from living or eating on campus. - Black students were discouraged from participating fully in campus activities. - President Newman called Winston into his office to urge him not to attend the ring dance of his junior year. - Whitehurst – went to a snack bar and was asked to leave. - Whitehurst – tried to play collegiate football, but was forced to watch practices from the sidelines; was also not allowed to travel with the team; eventually quit the team 1960s President Newman envisioned Tech as much more of a university
Background image of page 1

Info iconThis preview has intentionally blurred sections. Sign up to view the full version.

View Full DocumentRight Arrow Icon
President Hahn – arrived on campus in 1962 – spoke of Tech as “a land-grant university” Changes in Tech’s curriculum & organization, together w/ physical growth to match the academic expansion, came early in Hahn’s administration In contrast to the Virginia Agricultural & Mechanical College of the 1880’s, course offerings of the 1960s ranged far beyond the “agricultural & mechanical,” and the student population began to include many women as well as men and people of all races In 1962, the State Council of Higher Education approved a proposal that Tech
Background image of page 2
Image of page 3
This is the end of the preview. Sign up to access the rest of the document.

This note was uploaded on 12/01/2009 for the course ISE 4004 taught by Professor Petorgersen during the Fall '08 term at Virginia Tech.

Page1 / 6

Presentation Outline - 1950s Tech maintained three schools...

This preview shows document pages 1 - 3. Sign up to view the full document.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
Ask a homework question - tutors are online