week 6 readings - A right to die- den Haag ELIZABETH...

Info iconThis preview shows pages 1–2. Sign up to view the full content.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
A right to die- den Haag ELIZABETH BOUVIA, a quadriplegic in Riverside, California, wants to starve herself to death The hospital said not here and got the backing of the court to keep force feeding her o She checked out of the hospital o The decision seems an abuse of the hospital and court’s power There can be rational reasons for suicide, although 90 per cent of people who commit suicide are permanently or temporarily deranged o the remaining 10 per cent may realistically find their situation to be hopeless and rationally prefer death to life Rational suicide is possible. It cannot be prevented by law, and I do not believe it should be Mrs. Bouvia, who wants to commit suicide, but is physically unable to do so by her own efforts o She does not want to be helped. She only wants not to be forced, against her wishes, to take nourishment o Someone like her cannot take care of herself outside of the hospital and to force her to check herself out is barbaric A patient has a perfect right to decline food, or medicine, or an operation, if he so wishes
Background image of page 1

Info iconThis preview has intentionally blurred sections. Sign up to view the full version.

View Full DocumentRight Arrow Icon
Image of page 2
This is the end of the preview. Sign up to access the rest of the document.

Page1 / 3

week 6 readings - A right to die- den Haag ELIZABETH...

This preview shows document pages 1 - 2. Sign up to view the full document.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
Ask a homework question - tutors are online