ADMN222(4) - Module 1: Need for Human Resources. Topic 4:...

Info iconThis preview shows pages 1–2. Sign up to view the full content.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
Module 1: Need for Human Resources. .. Topic 4: Legal Issues in HRM In Canada, accepted practices and behaviours of managers toward their employees are governed through a variety of employment legislation at both the provincial and federal levels. 90% of Canadian employees are governed by their respective provincial legislation, while the remaining 10% are governed by federal legislation. While there is a great deal of commonality to the legislation, there are differences. The legal framework for employment includes constitutional law, particularly the Charter of Rights and Freedoms ; acts of Parliament; common law, which is an accumulation of judicial precedents; and contract law, which governs collective agreements and individual employment contracts. Governments in each jurisdiction have special regulatory bodies to enforce compliance with the law and aid in its interpretation. These bodies include human rights commissions and ministries of labour. For an overview of some of the major pieces of federal and provincial legislation, refer to pages 34–43 of your textbook. The general types of employment laws in Canada are:
Background image of page 1

Info iconThis preview has intentionally blurred sections. Sign up to view the full version.

View Full DocumentRight Arrow Icon
Image of page 2
This is the end of the preview. Sign up to access the rest of the document.

Page1 / 2

ADMN222(4) - Module 1: Need for Human Resources. Topic 4:...

This preview shows document pages 1 - 2. Sign up to view the full document.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
Ask a homework question - tutors are online