HW17-15 - Thus, for this problem we have = (4.6...

Info iconThis preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full content.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
(d) From Table 9.10, the radiation induced risk to the first generation, per rad gonad dose to the parents is seen to be: risk(BEIR)= (6 to 43)/106 and risk(UNSCEAR)= (18)/106. Thus for a parental gonad dose of 0.95 rem (or 0.95 rad since the exposure was from gamma rays) the radiogenic hereditary risk for the male operator is .risk(BEIR) = 0.95(6 to 43)/106 ~ (6 to 41) X 10-4% . .risk(UNSCEAR) = 0.95(18)/106 ~ 17 X 10-4%. 14. An individual is exposed 75% of the time to radon with a physical concentration of 4.6 pCifL and an equilibrium factor of F = 0.6. The remaining 25% of the time, the individual is exposed to radon at a concentration of 1.3 pCifL and with an equilibrium factor of F = 0.8. What is the annual radon exposure (on an EEC basis) in MBq h m-3? Solution: The annual radon exposure is calculated as R = Ei FiCihi, where Ci is the radon concentration at location i, Fi is the equilibrium factor at that location, and hi is the number of hours per year spent in location i.
Background image of page 1
This is the end of the preview. Sign up to access the rest of the document.

Unformatted text preview: Thus, for this problem we have = (4.6 pCi/L)(o.6)(o.75 x 365.25 d/y x 24 hid) +(1.3 pCi/L)(o.8)(0.25 x 365.25 d/y x 24 hid) = 2.04 x 104 pCi hit. From page 253, we find that an EEC of 4 pCifL is equivalent to 150 Bq m-3. With this conversion factor, the annual Rn EEC exposure is = 0.766 MBq h m-3, = (2.04 X 104 pCi h L-1) 150 Bq/m3 4 pCi/L If the individual in the previous problem is a nonsmoking male and receives the same annual radon exposure for his entire life, what is the probability he will die from lung cancer as a result his radon exposure? Solution: From Table 9.14, we find that for a non-smoking male receiving an annual exposure of 1 MBq h m-3 for his entire life the probability he dies from radon induced lung cancer is 0.016. Thus, for a lifetime annual exposure of 0.766 MBq h m-3 the probability of death from radon induced lung cancer is 0.016 (MBq h m-3)-1 x 0.766 (MBq h m-3) = 0.012 = 1.2%, or about 1 chance in 83. July 24, 2002...
View Full Document

This note was uploaded on 02/01/2010 for the course ECE 4130 taught by Professor Cady during the Spring '06 term at Cornell University (Engineering School).

Ask a homework question - tutors are online