Actsc363A1SolutionSet

Actsc363A1SolutionSet - Actuarial Science 363 DE Solution...

Info iconThis preview shows pages 1–2. Sign up to view the full content.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
Actuarial Science 363 DE Solution Set Assignment #1 June 12 th 2009 1. An individual has a fractional power utility function whereby: u(w) = w 0.8 where "w" is wealth. She is offered a wager (bet) where there is a 30% probability of winning a sound system worth $10,000 (plus the return of the wager) and a 70% probability of losing the wager. Her initial wealth is $30,000. a) Show that this person is risk averse. u (w) = w^0.8 >0 if w>0 u’(w) = 0.8*w^(-0.2) >0 if w>0 u”(w)= -0.16w^(-1.2) <0 So we have decreasing marginal utility which indicates that the individual is risk averse. b) What is the maximum bet she will make? Let G be the amount of the wager. 1) No wager, wealth is 30,000 and expected utility position is u (30,000) = 30,000^0.8=3816.77891. (2) If winning a sound system worth $10,000, then wealth is 40,000. (3) If losing the wager, then wealth is 30,000-G. Therefore, the expected utility position is: 0.3 *( 40,000^0.8)+0.7*[(30,000-G)^0.8] Then, we can get the equation: 0.3 *( 40,000^0.8)+0.7*[(30,000-G)^0.8] = 3816.77891
Background image of page 1

Info iconThis preview has intentionally blurred sections. Sign up to view the full version.

View Full DocumentRight Arrow Icon
Image of page 2
This is the end of the preview. Sign up to access the rest of the document.

This note was uploaded on 02/02/2010 for the course ACTSC 363 taught by Professor Robertbrown during the Spring '09 term at Waterloo.

Page1 / 2

Actsc363A1SolutionSet - Actuarial Science 363 DE Solution...

This preview shows document pages 1 - 2. Sign up to view the full document.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
Ask a homework question - tutors are online