This preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full content.
Unformatted text preview: – Electric Potentials, final
– Check to see if your result is consistent with the mental representation – Be sure the result reflects any symmetry you noted – Image varying parameters to see if the mathematical result changes in a reasonable way Summary and Hints
• Be careful with the choice of units
– In SI, capacitance is in F, distance is in m and the potential differences in V – Electric fields can be in V/m or N/c • When two or more capacitors are connected in parallel, the potential differences across them are the same
– The charge on each capacitor is proportional to its capacitance – The capacitors add directly to give the equivalent capacitance Summary and Hints, cont
• When two or more capacitors are connected in series, they carry the same charge, but the potential differences across them are not the same
– The capacitances add as reciprocals and the equivalen...
View Full Document
- Winter '10