MKT 3355 – Abbreviated Review for Exam 3
1. Which of the entities in the retail chain can perform one or more of the retail channel
Manufacture or wholesaler
- can take care of few or many functions such as
shipping, marking merchandise, inventory storage, displays, research etc.
Specialists- can undertake a particular task: buying office, delivery firm,
warehouse, marketing research firm, ad agency, accountant, credit bureau, and
computer service firm.
Consumer- can be responsible for delivery, credit, sales effort (self checkouts),
product alterations (do-it-yourself)
2. What are the two main types of organizing a retail store that has multi-units? What
are the major advantages and disadvantages of each type?
In a centralized organization, all purchases emanate from one office.
Adv: integration of effort, strict controls, consistent image, and proximity to top
management, staff support, and volume discounts.
Dis: inflexibility, time delays, poor morale at local stores, and excessive
In a decentralized organization, decisions are made locally or regionally.
Adv: adaptability to local conditions, quick order processing, and improved
morale because of branch autonomy.
Dis: disjointed planning, inconsistent image, limited controls, little staff
support, and a loss of volume discounts.
3. What are the two ways of classifications of ways of assigning (and training them)
employees job responsibilities in a retail store? What are the major advantages and
disadvantages of each way? What is the disadvantage of extreme specialization in job
- Keeps tasks of employees with similar positions in
different departments rather uniform.
Ex cahier in clothing same as cashier in
Enables personnel to learn tasks associated with more than
A firm increases personnel flexibility and reduces the number of
employees needed at any time by job standardization and cross-training.
Disadvantages of extreme specialization: boredom, people not being aware of
their jobs’ importance, and the need for more employees
4. What is meant by a job analysis? What is a job description? What is the relationship
between a job analysis, a job description, and an advertisement to recruit a retail