{[ promptMessage ]}

Bookmark it

{[ promptMessage ]}

plath - AmyCallaway ProfessorWeeks 1 Sylvia Plath more than...

Info iconThis preview shows pages 1–3. Sign up to view the full content.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
1 Amy Callaway 2/16/2010 Professor Weeks Sylvia   Plath,   more   than  a   poet. Sylvia Plath renowned poet and author was born and  raised in the United States. Best known for her pseudo-  biography The Bell Jar; she would spend the greater portion  of her life battling severe bouts of depression and  insomnia. Much of her novel reflects the standards, social  motives, and male dominance of the era. Her personal  experiences with men continually left a negative impact on  her life. Plath has been referred to as a “bitch goddess”,  “The ‘bitch’, of course, is a familiar enough figure- a  discontented, tense, frequently brilliant woman goaded into  fury by her repressed or distorted status in a male  society; and the ‘goddess’ conveys the opposite image, a  more creative one”, a sort of metaphorical association  (Butscher, xi). In the end she would loose the battle,  succumb to the depression and commit suicide. Sylvia Plath was born in the small town of Jamaica  Plains, Massachusetts on October 27, 1932 to Otto and  Aurelia Plath (Gellert, 174). Plath was a remarkably smart  Note: All poems by Plath referred to were pulled from the source, Ariel.
Background image of page 1

Info iconThis preview has intentionally blurred sections. Sign up to view the full version.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
2 Amy Callaway 2/16/2010 Professor Weeks child; learning to speak at an extremely young age. In  1941, at the age of eight, The Boston Herald published  Plath’s first poem. Otto Plath passed away just after  Sylvia’s ninth birthday and Sylvia vented “I’ll never speak  to God again” (“Neurotic Poets”).  Sylvia’s mother got a  job as a professor at Boston University and moved Sylvia  and her younger brother Warren to the city of Wellesley  (“Neurotic Poets”).  Plath attended Smith College, an all  girls school in North Hampton where she won an  apprenticeship with  Mademoiselle Magazine  in New York.  Sylvia was also published in  The Christian Science Monitor  at the same time   (“Neurotic poets”). Soon after starting at  Smith, Sylvia began suffering from depression and insomnia.  On July 29, 1950 she started electro shock therapy  treatment (“Neurotic Poets”).  She left a note saying she  went for a walk on August 24, 1953 instead overdosing on  sleeping pills in her basement and was not found until two  days later. She was sent to Mclean General Hospital where  she was treated by Dr. Ruth Jones. Once she was released 
Background image of page 2
Image of page 3
This is the end of the preview. Sign up to access the rest of the document.

{[ snackBarMessage ]}