de_exam review2 - REVIEW SHEET FOR EXAM 2 The second exam...

Info iconThis preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full content.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
This is the end of the preview. Sign up to access the rest of the document.

Unformatted text preview: REVIEW SHEET FOR EXAM 2 The second exam is worth 50 points and will consist of 35 multiple choice questions and a 15 essay (long answer) question. These questions will cover all material covered in class, as well as material covered in the required readings. Approximately 90% of the points you can earn will come from material covered in lectures. The remaining 10% will come from the assigned readings and films. The following is a list of topics and theories you can expect to find on the exam. Please be aware that this is merely a list of topics and theories. The list does not convey fully the need to integrate information across theories and topics and the need to think abstractly and critically about various theories and topics. THE THEORIES COVERED ON THIS EXAM INCLUDE: For each of the following theories, you should know the level of analysis, the assumptions about society and human beings, the main arguments of the theory, criticisms of the theory, some policy implications of the theory, how the theory compares to other theories, any extensions of the theory discussed in class (i.e., social capital and collective efficacy for social disorganization theory), and how the theory can apply to real life situations. Shaw and McKay’s social disorganization theory Hirschi’s social control theory Gottfredson and Hirschi’s low self-control theory Sutherland’s differential association theory; Sykes and Matza’s techniques of neutralization, Akers’ social learning theory Differential social organization theory (Sutherland’s interpretation of Shaw and McKay) Merton’s anomie theory Agnew’s strain theory ...
View Full Document

This note was uploaded on 02/22/2010 for the course SOCIOLOGY 306 taught by Professor Decoster during the Spring '10 term at N.C. State.

Ask a homework question - tutors are online