This preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full content.
Unformatted text preview: SSCI 300 Non-Western World Fall 2008
Kevin E. Grisham, ABD College of Social & Behavioral Sciences California State Univ., San Bernardino Points to Be Covered
What is “Colonialism?” What Nationalism & Its Connection to Nationalism Colonialism Effects of Colonialism on the Effects Developing World National Liberation Movements – National What are They & How Did They Develop? The Struggles Today – A New Type The of Conflict 1 What is Colonialism?
“A country’s control of country’ areas outside of its territory.” (71) territory.” • Colonialism of the past Example: India & Example: the U.K. • Colonialism of today (Neocolonialism) Example: French Example: involvement in some African countries (Françafrique) Franç afrique) British & U.S. soldiers in Sierra Leone Who Has Been Involved in Colonialism?
Who has not been Who involved in colonialism?!? Empires created Empires through colonialism
British Empire British French Empire French Ottoman Empire Ottoman Russian Empire Russian Dutch Empire Dutch Japanese Empire Japanese American Empire American 2 THE BRITISH EMPIRE FRENCH EMPIRE 3 RUSSIAN EMPIRE IN 1914 4 DUTCH EMPIRE JAPANESE EMPIRE IN 1931 5 What is the Connections Between Nationalism & Colonialism?
Nationalism and the Expansion of an Empire Nationalism • Nationalistic Behavior & Economic Interest Colonialism Colonialism Neocolonialism & Interdependency Theory Neocolonialism • Poor Periphery Countries Support the Rich Center • Raw Goods from the Edges Feed the Rich Center • Goods could be materials or human beings. 6 Effects of Colonialism in the Developing World
Positive Effects Positive • Educational advancements Incorporation vs. Incorporation Assimilation • Health Care • Transportation Negative Effects Negative • Geographical boundaries • Placing minorities in control of the government Colonialism, Nationalism, & Independence
Colonialism lead to a Colonialism growth of nationalism among different nations. • Nations wanting their own independence or autonomy Violent means Violent Non-violent Non means 7 Example of Independence Caused by Colonialism in the Developing World
• Early days
Portuguese trading Portuguese posts Queen Elizabeth, the Queen British Empire, & the East India Company (1600)
• Security forces arrive in 1760 • British law (1773 & 1858) • India, raw good, & the British Empire Example of Independence Caused by Colonialism in the Developing World (con’t)
India (con’t.) India (con’
• Growing unrest & then Mutiny of 1857 • Indian nationalist groups grow
Congress Party Congress Muslim League Muslim • Mohandas Gandhi
Nonviolent civil Nonviolent disobedience (Satyagraha)
• Loom & Clothing • Salt March • Indian Independence (1947) 8 Example of Independence Caused by Colonialism in the Developing World (con’t)
• Early Days
Explored by Vasco da Explored Gama (1498) Portuguese colonize Portuguese the area (1505)
• Settlers & officials were left to control the area Mozambique Company, Mozambique the Zambezia Company, & Niassa Company – Became the governing units in the area Example of Independence Caused by Colonialism in the Developing World (con’t)
Mozambique (con’t.) Mozambique (con’
• Imbalance in power developed between Mozambique Portuguese & Mozambique indigenous • Front for the Liberation of Mozambique (FRELIMO) & guerrilla warfare (1964-1975) (1964• Mozambique independence (1975) 9 Struggles Today: The After Effect of the Independence Movements
Independence: Does it come Independence: without side effects? • Struggles over power Lebanon Lebanon • Civil War (1975(19751990) • Confessional State & Demographics • Outside influences – Palestinian refugee influx & Israel invasion in 1978 & 1982 Struggles Today: The After Effect of the Independence Movements
Independence: Does it come Independence: without side effects? • Rise of different forms of dictatorships
Gamal Abdel Nasser of Egypt Gamal Robert Mugabe of Zimbabwe Robert
• Civil wars between competing groups who had worked together previously
India versus Pakistan India • Neocolonialism and the development of the NonNonAligned Movement (NAM) 10 Next Time in Class
Globalization & the Shrinking Globalization World We Live In Interdependence & Its Effect on Interdependence the World Current Events Current 11 ...
View Full Document
- Spring '10