Class 31 - Alleles and Complex Traits 1 Alleles and Complex...

Info iconThis preview shows pages 1–13. Sign up to view the full content.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
Alleles and Complex Traits 1
Background image of page 1

Info iconThis preview has intentionally blurred sections. Sign up to view the full version.

View Full DocumentRight Arrow Icon
Alleles and Complex Traits 1
Background image of page 2
Hardy-Weinberg Equation So as we said p + q = 1 Frequency of genotypes: AA = p*p = p 2 aa = q*q = q 2 Aa = a*A + A*a = q*p + p*q = 2*p*q The Hardy-Weinberg Equation is: p 2 + 2pq + q 2 = 1 2
Background image of page 3

Info iconThis preview has intentionally blurred sections. Sign up to view the full version.

View Full DocumentRight Arrow Icon
Please answer this question without talking to your neighbor
Background image of page 4
Cohen Syndrome has several characteristics such as obesity, mental retardation, and facial abnormalities. The disease is inherited in an autosomal recessive manner. In an Old Order Amish community 4% (0.04) of the population has Cohen Syndrome. If there is no information about whether this disease runs in the family, what is the chance that a disease free man is NOT a carrier (he is AA)? A. 64% B. 32% C. 10% D. 4% E. 2%
Background image of page 5

Info iconThis preview has intentionally blurred sections. Sign up to view the full version.

View Full DocumentRight Arrow Icon
Now talk to your neighbor and answer it again
Background image of page 6
Cohen Syndrome has several characteristics such as obesity, mental retardation, and facial abnormalities. The disease is inherited in an autosomal recessive manner. In an Old Order Amish community 4% (0.04) of the population has Cohen Syndrome. If there is no information about whether this disease runs in the family, what is the chance that a disease free man is NOT a carrier (he is AA)? A. 64% B. 32% C. 10% D. 4% E. 2%
Background image of page 7

Info iconThis preview has intentionally blurred sections. Sign up to view the full version.

View Full DocumentRight Arrow Icon
Now I will tell you how to solve this problem
Background image of page 8
Background image of page 9

Info iconThis preview has intentionally blurred sections. Sign up to view the full version.

View Full DocumentRight Arrow Icon
Cohen Syndrome has several characteristics such as obesity, mental retardation, and facial abnormalities. The disease is inherited in an autosomal recessive manner. In an Old Order Amish community 4% (0.04) of the population has Cohen Syndrome. If there is no information about whether this disease runs in the family, what is the chance that a disease free man is NOT a carrier (AA)? A. 64% B. 32% C. 10% D. 4% E. 2% 4% or 0.04= aa or q 2 SQRT (0.04)= 0.2 = q p+q=1 so 1-0.2=p p=0.8 Chance of being homozygous normal (AA) = p 2 =(0.8)(0.8)=0.64
Background image of page 10
Please answer this question without talking to your neighbor
Background image of page 11

Info iconThis preview has intentionally blurred sections. Sign up to view the full version.

View Full DocumentRight Arrow Icon
Early onset or infantile Tay-Sachs disease causes nerve cells deteriorate and then eventually die. The disease is inherited in an autosomal recessive manner.
Background image of page 12
Image of page 13
This is the end of the preview. Sign up to access the rest of the document.

Page1 / 39

Class 31 - Alleles and Complex Traits 1 Alleles and Complex...

This preview shows document pages 1 - 13. Sign up to view the full document.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
Ask a homework question - tutors are online