Music and Race
- Welcome to our lecture on Race
- To star, I’d like to pose two questions
- Take a moment to pause this lecture and write down your answer to these questions
before we continue
- First question: what is race?
- Second question: What is ethnicity, and is it the same thing as race?
- Go ahead and answer these questions on paper now and we will compare answers later
- In answering the fist question, many of you probably mentioned different race
categories, like white, black, Asian, native American, etc
- Some of you probably mentioned ancestry, place of origin, or biological differences like
genetics, skin color, hair texture, eye shape, etc.
- All of these answers are correct, in a sense.
- In the Unites States today somebody’s race supposedly tells us about all of these things
- Perhaps the best way to define race is that it’s a story, a kind of history
- Race tells people where they come from both geographically and ancestrally
- In doing so, its tells people how they are special, what their struggles are, what they are
- Now some of you probably wrote that race is about biology, ethnicity is a about culture.
- (Some of you probably wrote that while race is about biology, ethnicity is about
- That’s basically correct, race is not the same thing as ethnicity
- Although the two terms are used synonymously on government forms, surveys, and