BSC2010 - Biology 1
Lecture Objectives for Examination #3 - Dr. Jack Gartner
– MEIOSIS AND SEXUAL LIFE CYCLES
- Know the following terms: -
asexual reproduction, sexual reproduction, karyotype,
homologous chromosomes, autosomes, sex chromosomes, diploid, haploid,
chiasma, crossing over, synapsis, synaptonemal complex, tetrad, , centriole,
aster, cell plate, cleavage furrow, gamete, gametogenesis, polar body, gonads,
- Know the two major stages of meiosis.
- Within each stage, know the major events that take place in the four phases.
- Be especially aware of the important events in Prophase I of meiosis.
- Know the differences between spermatogenesis and oogenesis.
- Know the differences between meiosis and mitosis.
- Understand the advantages of sexual reproduction vs. asexual reproduction.
Chapters 14 and 15
– Mendel and the Gene Idea/The Chromosomal Basis of Inheritance
- Know the following terms:
gene, allele, homologue, locus, true breeding,
hybrid, dominant, recessive, homozygous, heterozygous, phenotype, genotype,
test cross, Punnett Square, pedigree, autosomal dominant, autosomal recessive,
sex-linked trait, aneuploidy, polyploidy, monosomy, trisomy.
- Know Mendel's basic experiments that led to the Law of Segregation (monohybrid cross) and