This preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full content.
Unformatted text preview: between formed by dehydration synthesis/ condensation Reactions condensation Figure 2.14 5 2/3/2010 c.) Levels of Protein Structure
1. The primary structure iis a polypeptide s The primary chain chain
– LINEAR SEQUENCE and number of AA’s. Figure 2.15a Levels of Protein Structure
2. The secondary structure The secondary – amino acid chain folds amino and coils in a regular helix or pleats. or
– Simple folded/coiled Simple structures structures Figure 2.15b http://www.chemguide.co.uk/organicp rops/aminoacids/proteinstruct.html 6 2/3/2010 Levels of Protein Structure Figure 2.15c 3. The tertiary structure The tertiary (3D structure!!):
– the helix folds irregularly, the – forming disulfide bonds, Hbonds, and ionic bonds between bonds, amino acids in the chain. amino Levels of Protein Structure
4. The quaternary structure consists of two The quaternary consists or more polypeptides. or
– Two or more (≥ 2), 3D-folded polypeptides associated into a multi-peptide complex. Figure 2.15d 7 2/3/2010 d.) Complex Macromolec...
View Full Document
- Spring '09