Unformatted text preview: alance
• The amount of H+ iin a solution is expressed n as pH. as • pH = log[H+] (Molar = moles/L) pH
– eg: pH 7 = 1/107 (= 10-7) moles H+/L pH Increasing [H+], iincreases acidity. Increasing [H ncreases acidity Increasing [OH] or decreasing [H+] Increasing [OH or [H iincreases alkalinity. ncreases alkalinity • Most organisms grow best b/tw pH 6.5 & 8.5. Most b/tw Acid-Base Balance Figure 2.7 5 2/1/2010 C. Organic Compounds
• Carbon skeleton
– The chain of carbon atoms The in an organic molecule. in • Functional groups
– responsible for most of responsible the chemical properties of a particular organic compound. compound. Hydroxyl groups (-OH) alcohols OH) Functional Groups Table 2.3 6 2/1/2010 Organic Compounds
• Small organic molecules can combine Small into large macromolecules. macromolecules • Macromolecules are polymers M...
View Full Document