This preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full content.
Unformatted text preview: acromolecules polymers consisting of many small repeating consisting molecules. molecules.
– The smaller molecules are called The monomers. monomers Organic Compounds
• Monomers join by dehydration synthesis Monomers dehydration or condensation reactions. or condensation Figure 2.8 7 2/1/2010 1. Carbohydrates
• Are important for structure and as energy Are sources. sources. • Consist of C, H, and O with the formula Consist (CH2O)n (CH • Monosaccharides are simple sugars with 3 are to 7 carbon atoms. to Figure 2.8 Carbohydrates
• Disaccharides are formed when two Disaccharides monosaccharides are joined in a dehydration monosaccharides are synthesis (condensation). synthesis
– Disaccharides can be broken down by hydrolysis. Disaccharides hydrolysis Figure 2.8 8 2/1/2010 Carbohydrates
1. Oligosaccharides consist of 2 consist to 20 monosaccharides. monosaccharides 2. Polysaccharides =...
View Full Document
- Spring '09