Unformatted text preview: um Facilitated Diffusion Figure 5-12: Diffusion of glucose into cells 12: 8 1/31/2010 B. Primary Active Transport: B. Pumps Products Pumps
• Uses ATP to to move products move • Up a Up concentration gradient gradient
– Low high Low
Figure 5-13: The Na+ - K+ -ATPase Primary Active Transport: Primary ATP-Powered Protein Pumps ATP
Na+/K+ Pump!! Figure 5-14: 14: Mechanism of the Na+ - K+ -ATPase Na 9 1/31/2010 C. Secondary Active Transport: Uses Kinetic Energy of [ion] Uses • Cotransports
–Symport • [Ion] restored
–using ATP using Figure 5-15: Sodium-glucose symporter glucose symporter Energy Transfer: Review
• Cell metabolism Cell (Ch. 4) (Ch. • Membrane Membrane transport (Ch. 5) (Ch. • ** COUPLING
– Exergonic processes release processes energy energy – Released energy Released absorbed by Endergonic Endergonic processes
• Proceed!! Figure 5-19: Energy transfer in living cells 10 1/31/2010 D. Vesicles in Membrane Transport D.
• Bulk Transport Bulk Moves: Moves:
– particles particles – Large...
View Full Document
This document was uploaded on 03/18/2010.
- Spring '09