This preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full content.
Unformatted text preview: nts in Photosynthesis
– Pigments in plasma membranes
• Pockets or “thylakoids” in PM! thylakoids” • Plants
– Pigments embedded in thylakoid membrane thylakoid system – Pigments and proteins organized into photosystems photosystems – Photosystems located next to electron electron transport systems transport Thylakoid Membrane Section:
Photosystems & Electron Transporters Photosystems
thylakoid membrane thylakoid compartment ATP SYNTHASE water-splitting complex waterH2O Light
P680 2H+ + 1/2O2 H+ H+ H+ H+ H+ H+ H+ H+ H+ H+ H+ H+ H+ H+ H+ H+
P700 PHOTOSYSTEM II reaction center pool of electron transporters PHOTOSYSTEM I reaction center electron acceptor first electron transfer chain electron second electron acceptor transfer chain 4 II. Light-Dependent Reactions
1. Pigments absorb light energy,
• give up e- , which enter electron transport systems 2. Water molecules are split (Photolysis),
• ATP and NADH are formed, and oxygen is released 3. Pigments that gave up electrons get replacements (…cycle continues…) Photosystem Function: Reaction Center
1. Energy is reduced to level 1. that can be captured by molecule of chlorophyll a chlorophyll
View Full Document
This document was uploaded on 03/18/2010.
- Spring '09