BIOL2609_L19_2007

G one haplotype apparently confined to atlantic fish

Info iconThis preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full content.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
This is the end of the preview. Sign up to access the rest of the document.

Unformatted text preview: Significant difference in haplotype distribution between Atlantic and Indo-Pacific • Also significant within-ocean population structure – E.g. one haplotype apparently confined to Atlantic fish was found in 11/74 Jamaican fish, but only 1/74 of nonJamaican Atlantic fish • This level of population structure is strange given the mobility of the fish – E.g. Tag/recapture suggests 10% W.Atlantic fish are recaptured in E.Atlantic • Why? – Spawning site fidelity? Phylogeographic analysis: • Reveals two groups of haplotypes that differ by several restriction site differences – Nucleotide divergence measured as 1.35% • One group of haplotypes was ubiquitous – Found in 55% Atlantic fish and all Indo-Pacific fish • Ten haplotypes were present in both Atlantic and Indo-Pacific fish • The remaining haplotypes (accounting for 45% of individuals caught) were found only in Atlantic fish • These two genetically divergent groups suggest historical isolation Phylogeographic analysis of Atlantic and Indo-Pacific blue marlin Included haplotypes from 138 Atlantic and 68 Pacific fish Sailfish A...
View Full Document

{[ snackBarMessage ]}

Ask a homework question - tutors are online