H1_sol - ECEN 689 - Statistical Computation in Genomic...

Info iconThis preview shows pages 1–2. Sign up to view the full content.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
ECEN 689 - Statistical Computation in Genomic Signal Processing Fall 2009 Homework 1 – Solutions 1. (a) Starting at index 133 (initiation codon), we have 5 - ATG CAG AGG TCG CCT CTG . .. - 3 Hence, by the “table of life,” the aminoacid sequence is Met-Gln-Arg-Ser-Pro-Leu. .. or, in one-letter notation, MQRSPL. .. (b) First case: If “A” and “a” denote a normal and defective CFTR allele, respectively, then the parents are both Aa. The possible equally-likely combination of alleles in the children are AA, Aa, aA, and aa. Therefore, there exists a 25% probability of a healthy non-carrier, 50% probability of a healthy carrier, and 25% probability of a diseased individual. If the couple has 4 children, the expected numbers are 1, 2, and 1. Second case: One parent is AA and the other is Aa. The possible equally- likely combination of alleles in the children are AA, Aa, AA, and Aa. Therefore, there exists a 50% probability of a healthy non-carrier, 50% probability of a healthy carrier, and 0% probability of a diseased individual. If the couple has 4 children, the expected numbers are 2, 2, and 0. 2. One can tell this is a prokaryote mRNA due to absence of a poly-A tail. In addition, the Shine-Dalgarno AGGAGGU sequence existent in E. Coli can be seen in the 5’ UTR region. The 5’UTR, ORF, and 3’UTR extend respectively from positions 1–17, 18–47, and 48–57. The Shine-Dalgarno sequence appears at positions 6–12. The ORF contains
Background image of page 1

Info iconThis preview has intentionally blurred sections. Sign up to view the full version.

View Full DocumentRight Arrow Icon
Image of page 2
This is the end of the preview. Sign up to access the rest of the document.

This note was uploaded on 03/30/2010 for the course ECEN 689-601 taught by Professor Staff during the Fall '10 term at Texas A&M.

Page1 / 2

H1_sol - ECEN 689 - Statistical Computation in Genomic...

This preview shows document pages 1 - 2. Sign up to view the full document.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
Ask a homework question - tutors are online