hw4 - a 49 of winning a bet and a 51 chance of losing a bet...

Info icon This preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full content.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
Homework Problem Set No. 4 – Physics 17 Due in class, Wednesday, October 29 1. Consider a classroom of N seats and n students attend class. How many different seating arrangements are there? (Assume n < N ). Consider the same situation, but iden- tical clones instead of individual students are attending class. How many different seating arrangements are there? 2. Consider an unusual coin which has a 75% chance of heads and 25% chance of tails. After 10 6 tosses, what is the expected number of heads? For 99% of all experiments, what are the minimum and maximum number of heads that will be achieved? 3. Assume you take a trip to Los Vegas and make 100 $1.00 bets.
Image of page 1
This is the end of the preview. Sign up to access the rest of the document.

Unformatted text preview: a 49% of winning a bet and a 51% chance of losing a bet. What are the odds that you will be a net winner? What are the odds that you will leave Los Vegas with at least $150? 4. Consider a particle of mass m in a 1-D box of length a . For large values of E , compute the number of states the particle can have with energy ≤ E . Now perform the same calculation for a 2-D box of sides of length a . 5. In the general population, 1 person in 10 is left-handed. In a class of 39 students, what are the odds that there are (1) 0 left-handed people, (2) 2 left-handed people, and (3) 39 left-handed people? 1...
View Full Document

{[ snackBarMessage ]}

What students are saying

  • Left Quote Icon

    As a current student on this bumpy collegiate pathway, I stumbled upon Course Hero, where I can find study resources for nearly all my courses, get online help from tutors 24/7, and even share my old projects, papers, and lecture notes with other students.

    Student Picture

    Kiran Temple University Fox School of Business ‘17, Course Hero Intern

  • Left Quote Icon

    I cannot even describe how much Course Hero helped me this summer. It’s truly become something I can always rely on and help me. In the end, I was not only able to survive summer classes, but I was able to thrive thanks to Course Hero.

    Student Picture

    Dana University of Pennsylvania ‘17, Course Hero Intern

  • Left Quote Icon

    The ability to access any university’s resources through Course Hero proved invaluable in my case. I was behind on Tulane coursework and actually used UCLA’s materials to help me move forward and get everything together on time.

    Student Picture

    Jill Tulane University ‘16, Course Hero Intern