Chapter 7: Developing Civilizations
A. Mesoamerican Civilization (central America)
1. Where was Teotihuacan located?
What was the basis of its economy?
Obsidian Trade (stone)
2. What was the nature of the city and the culture?
Massive public building, reliable water, pilgrimage worship,
fighting, depended upon the planet Venus- high knowledge of stars and planets
3. When was Teotihuacan abandoned?
4. Where and when did the Maya civilization thrive?
Mexico city, Guatemala, Belize, Mexico, Honduras
5. What were some of the special characteristics of Maya culture?
Developed written language,
waging of war, sacrifices of prisoners of war- sacrifice of blood of king and Queen of cities
6. What was the
7. Where did the Aztecs originate, what did they call themselves and where did they locate?
Mexico City- Tenocha-
8. What was the nature of Aztec society and religion?
Military state, sacrifices, wage of war, 9 levels of
underworld-earth, 3 heavens, cannibal
Essential vocabulary: Mexico City,200 CE, obsidian trade,pyramids, 3,000 structures,"GreatGoddess" andwater,
Venusand the warrior cult, 800, Guatemala, Belize, Mexico, and Honduras, 700-800 CE, 25 city-states, written
language, calendarsystem,divine ruler, sacrifice, Tenocha or Mexica, Lake Texcoco, Tenochtitlan, emperor, military
state, Sun god, sacrificial victims
B. Andean Civilization
1. Where and when was the Moche culture?
2. What do we know about Moche culture and religion?
No writing system, pyramids, Sun, sacrifices
3. When and where was the Inka kingdom?
4. What do we know about the Inka religion and the Inka economy and state?
Created a civilization that spread
3,000 miles 1/3 went to emperor, 1/3 for gods, 1/3 for common people, based upon cotton, coacoa,-cociane and
5. What was the language of the Inka?
6. What contributed to the weakness of the Inka state?
7. Who invaded the Inka territory, when, and why?
Soanish- attracted to silver