7) How long does wine keep after it’s opened?
If refrigerated most open wines will keep up to a week.
Wines with some age generally
should be consumed the same day.
Some wines, particularly German, Alsace, &
Austrian whites, keep well over a week.
Sweet & fortified wines usually store well for
8) How do I preserve still wine once I open it?
Reseal with the Vacu-Vin
, or if possible reinsert original cork back into
the bottle in the same way it was originally packaged.
9) How do I preserve sparkling wine once I open it?
Refrigerate, using the sparkling wine resealing gadget sold at wine shops everywhere.
10) For my upcoming wedding please suggest economical yet delicious white, red &
Are there any local wines you would suggest?
“Off-dry”(i.e. slightly sweet) & dry rieslings are the best wines from
the Finger Lakes.
Reds don’t fare as well, but good pinot noirs are available.
wines are very successful.
Our favorite producers (alphabetical order) are Anthony Road,
Dr. Frank, Fox Run, Glenora, Hazlitt, Knapp, Lakewood, Lamoreaux Landing, Prejean,
Red Newt, Shalestone, Silver Thread, Treleaven, Wagner, and Hermann Wiemer.
11) What are the best conditions for cellaring wine?
Ideal cellaring involves consistent temperature (
C), humidity (80%), and
absence of light & vibration.
Corks needs to be kept damp so bottles must be stored on
their sides or upside down.
12) Sometimes I have to keep wine overnight in my car in the winter.