1.20.intro

1.20.intro - CS 161 Computer Security Profs Vern Paxson...

Info iconThis preview shows pages 1–4. Sign up to view the full content.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
1 CS 161: Computer Security Profs. Vern Paxson & David Wagner TAs: John Bethencourt, Erika Chin, Matthew Finifter, Cynthia Sturton, Joel Weinberger http://inst.eecs.berkeley.edu/~cs161/ January 20, 2010 What Is This Class? Computer security = how to keep computing systems functioning as intended & free of abuse … – … and keep data we care about accessed only as desired … – … in the presence of an adversary We will look at: – Attacks and defenses for • Programs • Networks • Systems (OS, Web) – Securing data and communications – Enabling/thwarting privacy and anonymity How these notions have played out in the Real World Issues span a very large range of CS – Programming, systems, hardware, networking, theory
Background image of page 1

Info iconThis preview has intentionally blurred sections. Sign up to view the full version.

View Full DocumentRight Arrow Icon
2 What Will You Learn? • How to think adversarially • How to assess threats for their significance • How to build programs & systems that have robust security properties • How to gauge the protections and limitations provided by today’s technology – How to balance the costs of security mechanisms vs. the benefits they offer • How today’s attacks work in practice • How security issues have played out “for real” (case studies) How Expensive is the Learning? • Absorb material presented in lectures and section • 3 course projects (10% each, 30% total) – Done individually, perhaps some in small groups • ~4 homeworks (20% total) – Done individually • Two midterms (10% each, 20% total) – 80 minutes long: Fri Feb 26 / Wed Apr 7 ( tentative ) • A comprehensive final exam (30%) – Fri May 14 11:30AM-2:30PM – Alternate 3-6PM, only for CS160/CS164 conflicts • Sign up on the web by Jan 29
Background image of page 2
3 What’s Required?
Background image of page 3

Info iconThis preview has intentionally blurred sections. Sign up to view the full version.

View Full DocumentRight Arrow Icon
Image of page 4
This is the end of the preview. Sign up to access the rest of the document.

Page1 / 17

1.20.intro - CS 161 Computer Security Profs Vern Paxson...

This preview shows document pages 1 - 4. Sign up to view the full document.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
Ask a homework question - tutors are online