Chapter 5 Solutions

Chapter 5 Solutions - 1 . %) 9 . 12 12 ( 7 . %) 9 . 12 30 (...

Info iconThis preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full content.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
Chapter 5 Solutions to Assigned Problems: 2. a. Possibilities Probability Return Return * Probability 1 ½ -30% -15% 2 ½ +40% +20% Expected Return = ½(40%) + ½(-30%) = 5% Standard Deviation = % 35 %) 5 30 ( 2 / 1 %) 5 40 ( 2 / 1 2 2 = - - + - b. Possibilities Probability Return Return * Probability 1 0.1 -90% -9% 2 0.4 -30% -12% 3 0.4 +40% +16% 4 0.1 +100% +10% Expected Return = 0.1(-90%) + 0.4(-30%) + 0.4(40%) +0.1(100%) = 5% Standard Deviation = % 8 . 52 %) 5 100 ( 1 . 0 %) 5 40 ( 4 . 0 %) 5 30 ( 4 . 0 %) 5 90 ( 1 . 0 2 2 2 2 = - + - + - - + - - 5. a. Expected Value = 0.2($1000)(1+30%) + 0.7($1000)(1+12%) + 0.1($1000)(1- 15%) = $1129 Expected Return = 0.2(30%) + 0.7(12%) + 0.1(-15%) = 12.9% b. Standard Deviation = % 7 . 11 %) 9 . 12 15 (
Background image of page 1
This is the end of the preview. Sign up to access the rest of the document.

Unformatted text preview: 1 . %) 9 . 12 12 ( 7 . %) 9 . 12 30 ( 2 . 2 2 2 =--+-+-c. Risk Premium = 12.9% - 7% = 5.9% 7. Yes, because the investment in problem 5 rises in value during high growth and normal growth and falls in value during a recession, while the investment in problem 7 rises in value during a recession and during normal growth and falls in value during high growth. Because these two investments have opposing payoffs (when one does poorly, the other does well), investing in both of them can reduce your overall risk....
View Full Document

Ask a homework question - tutors are online