ECONOMICS OF TILAPIA PRODUCTION USING CONCRETE TANKS IN SOUTHWESTERN NIGERIA

ECONOMICS OF TILAPIA PRODUCTION USING CONCRETE TANKS IN SOUTHWESTERN NIGERIA

Info iconThis preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full content.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
ECONOMICS OF TILAPIA PRODUCTION USING CONCRETE TANKS IN SOUTHWESTERN NIGERIA BY Afolabi* J.A, Ojo*.S.O and Fagbenro ,**O.A Federal University of Technology, P.M.B 704, Akure, Ondo State Nigeria ABSTRACT The study examined the economics of tilapia production using concrete tank in South Western Nigeria.It specifically identified the socio economic characteristics of the respondents in the study area.It also determined the profitability of tilapia production and examined the productivity of tilapia farmers in the study area. A multistage sampling technique was used to select 32 tilapia farmers in the study area and structured questionnaire administered on them to collect data. Descriptive stastistics ,Budgetary and Production function analyses were used to analyse the data collected.The result showed that 71.88% of the respondents were primarily civil servants while the remaining 28.12%
Background image of page 1
This is the end of the preview. Sign up to access the rest of the document.

Unformatted text preview: were graduates beneficiaries of training programme of governments poverty alleviation programme.The profitability analysis showed that an average farmer incurred an average cost of N35850per cropping season but earned an average revenue of N58997.03 over the same period which indicate that tilapia production is a profitable venture in the study area. The postulated regressors i.e cost of feeds, cost of labour, cost of fingerlings, depreciation and years of experience in tilapia production explained about 72.4% in the variation of the regressand i.e value of fish cropped. Elasticity of estimate for each production input added up to 1.4825 which showed that there was Increasing Return to Scale ( RTS ) indicating that tilapia production in the study area fell in the irrational zone ( i.e Stage 1) of the production surface....
View Full Document

Ask a homework question - tutors are online