syllabus 326 fall 2009

syllabus 326 fall 2009 - PSYC 326 Behavioral Neuroscience...

Info iconThis preview shows pages 1–2. Sign up to view the full content.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
PSYC 326 Behavioral Neuroscience Fall 2009 Page 1 This course is an introduction to the biological bases of behavior. We will use the topic of learning and memory as a theme to go into depth into the observations and psychological concepts (the behavior and cognitive processes) and the biology (in terms of the anatomy, physiology, neurochemistry, and endocrinology) that make up the discipline behavioral neuroscience. The topic of learning is central both for understanding normal behavior and clinically for changing behavior, cognition and emotion. Psychology 100g or permission of the instructor is a prerequisite. Class Schedule : Tuesdays and Thursdays, 2:00 – 3:50 PM, THH 208 Text book : Neil Carlson (2007). Physiology of Behavior , 9th Edition, ISBN 0-205-59389-5; 10th Edition, ISBN 0- 205-66627-2. Tests are based on the 10th edition. Internet Resources: The publisher offers internet resources that include practice tests, flash cards, demonstrations and more at . Study Guide: The publisher of the text offers a study guide that the student may independently seek to acquire. Study Guide with Practice Tests (revised printing) for Physiology of Behavior , 9/E ISBN 0205553834 and also ISBN 9780205553839 Cost: $21.80 (Fall 2008) Can be ordered at . Possibly could be ordered from other sources. Blackboard: Always go to Blackboard to see the latest updates of the syllabus and other material. Of particular interest to students is the file “psyc 326 lecture outline” which is an outline of the lectures. Instructor David Lavond, Ph.D. Phone: 740-4041 Office: SGM 1014 Email: [email protected] Hours: MW 9:00 am – 11:00 am, also drop-in and by appointment when available Teaching Assistant Xiaokun Yu Phone: 740-6102 Office: HNB 316 Email: [email protected] Hours: MW 12:00 noon – 2:00 pm Examinations Students are responsible for knowing the material in lecture and in the text book. Material from the lecture and the text book are weighted differently. Emphasis is placed on knowing the material from the lectures which will count for 70% of the course grade. Material from the text book will count for the remaining 30% of the course grade. The student is responsible for planning their study strategy to pace themselves with the text book material. See Note 2 below. There are four midterm exams for this course. The last midterm will be given during the period for the final exam. Each exam covers only the immediately preceding course material -- i.e., the exams are not cumulative exams. Each exam will consist of 50 multiple-choice questions from the lectures (70% of grade) and 50 multiple-choice questions from the book (30% of grade). See the document on Blackboard for calculating grades where the lectures and text book are weighted differently. You will not get to keep the exams. Since these exams will be used again for make-up exams, points will be taken off for every question that has been marked. Do not mark the exams
Background image of page 1

Info iconThis preview has intentionally blurred sections. Sign up to view the full version.

View Full DocumentRight Arrow Icon
Image of page 2
This is the end of the preview. Sign up to access the rest of the document.

This note was uploaded on 04/18/2010 for the course PSYCH 326 taught by Professor Renken during the Fall '09 term at USC.

Page1 / 6

syllabus 326 fall 2009 - PSYC 326 Behavioral Neuroscience...

This preview shows document pages 1 - 2. Sign up to view the full document.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
Ask a homework question - tutors are online