Chem Lab Report 5

Chem Lab Report 5 - Austin Thai Chem 3AL, Sect. 103 March...

Info iconThis preview shows pages 1–2. Sign up to view the full content.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon

Info iconThis preview has intentionally blurred sections. Sign up to view the full version.

View Full DocumentRight Arrow Icon
This is the end of the preview. Sign up to access the rest of the document.

Unformatted text preview: Austin Thai Chem 3AL, Sect. 103 March 13, 2010 Experiment 6: Recrystallization and Melting Points Discussion For the experiment, our group found that acetone was the best, and only, solvent that we could use for recrystallization of the unknown substance given to us. How we determined it was simple: all other solvents, from distilled water to ethanol to hexane, dissolved the substance when mixed together in a small vial. Although 95% ethanol was supposedly the optimal solvent needed for our unknown substance (which was labeled G), only acetone did not dissolve it and therefore we could use it for our solubility test. Plus, when we began the recrystallization process with acetone, crystals of the remaining unknown substance did form, which therefore proved that our solvent worked. From those crystals, we determined that the identity of the unknown was urea, which was correct. This was determined due to the melting point range that we compared with substance G, which was 134.5-136 degrees Celsius, and with which ureas range was substance G, which was 134....
View Full Document

This note was uploaded on 04/19/2010 for the course CHEM 70987 taught by Professor Hopkins during the Spring '10 term at UC Davis.

Page1 / 2

Chem Lab Report 5 - Austin Thai Chem 3AL, Sect. 103 March...

This preview shows document pages 1 - 2. Sign up to view the full document.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
Ask a homework question - tutors are online