Unformatted text preview: ELEC5203 Topics in Power Engineering
__________________________________________________________________________________________________ School of Electrical & Information Engineering ELEC5203 TOPICS IN POWER ENGINEERING
Lecture 1: Questions 1. What is the purpose of the electric power industry? 2. Are you familiar with what is today known as “the battle of the currents”? 3. Do you know why AC was chosen against DC to built the electricity infrastructure? 4. Do you think DC power transmission systems exist today? 5. What is the purpose of interconnections in transmission networks? 6. What is “distributed generation” or “embedded generation”? 7. What would be the disadvantages of a power system that only radial lines exist
between generators and loads? 8. What are the advantages of a mesh electrical grid? 9. How do we define “reliability of power supply”? 10. What is deregulated electricity industry?
11. Do you think the power systems of today, in general, are mechanically or electronically controlled?
12. What will happen to the voltage and frequency of the power system if the generation is less than the load?
13. Do you think there is significant or insignificant electrical energy storage?
14. What will happen to the frequency of the power system if the voltage is propped up with reactive power support?
15. What will happen to the power system if there is inadequate reactive power? __________________________________________________________________________________________________
The University of Sydney March 2010 Page 1 of 1 ...
View Full Document
- Spring '10
- Electrical Engineering, Electricity generation, Electric power transmission, Electricity distribution, Electricity market, Power engineering