Unformatted text preview: The Human Immune System The Human Immune System Introduction to Life Science SCI/230 April 5, 2009 The Human Immune System The Human Immune System
• The immune system’s purpose. Where the immune system is found. The lines of defense of the immune system. Digestive and immune system interaction and support. • • • The Immune Systems Purpose The Immune Systems Purpose
• The human body’s defense against foreign invaders.
o Cells, molecules, and organs work together in this defense. • Seeks out internal problems as well.
o Mutated cells, viruses, or damage. • Both innate and adaptive. Where the Immune System is Found Where the Immune System is Found
• • • • • • Found throughout the body Continuously monitoring Especially within lymphoid tissues Primary tissues Secondary tissues Leukocytes The Immune Systems Line of Defense The Immune Systems Line of Defense
• • • • Nonspecific Inflammatory Responses
• Skin Stomach Acid Mucous Layers of Respiratory and Digestive Tract Carried out by phagocytes. • Specific Immune Responses
• Repeat interaction with environmental pathogens. Carried out by lymphocytes. Digestive and Immune System Digestive and Immune System Interaction and Support
• Proper digestive functions supports immune system lines of defense. • Healthy bacteria wards off harmful bacteria. Immune System Presence:
• • • Mucus layering of the digestive tract. Gutassociated lymphoid tissue (GALT) The immune system has evolved The immune system has evolved to prevent harmful organisms from gaining access to the body or to destroy them once they have entered. The future lies in gaining even more knowledge of how this fascinating system works. References References
Encarta. (2009). Immune System. Retrieved April 5 2009, from http://encarta.msn.com/encylopedia_ 761575681/Immune_system.html Immune System Etc (ISE). (2007). Digestive problems & the immune system. Retrieved April 5, 2009, from http://www.immunesystemetc.com/digestion.html Pruitt, N. L., & Underwood, L. S. (2006). Bioinquiry: Making connections in biology (3rd ed.). Hoboken, NJ: John Wiley & Sons, Inc. ...
View Full Document
- Spring '09
- Specific immune responses, Immune System. Retrieved, Immune Systems Line, immune system interaction, Immune Systems Purpose