EQ Presentation - Is There Multiple Intelligence? EQ vs. IQ...

Info iconThis preview shows pages 1–9. Sign up to view the full content.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
Is There Multiple Intelligence? Is There Multiple Intelligence? EQ vs. IQ EQ vs. IQ
Background image of page 1

Info iconThis preview has intentionally blurred sections. Sign up to view the full version.

View Full DocumentRight Arrow Icon
Definition of Intelligence Definition of Intelligence   The ability to learn or understand or to deal with new or trying situations : the skilled use of reason The cognitive abilities of an individual to learn from experience, to reason well, and to cope effectively with the demands of daily living.
Background image of page 2
"Intelligence, as a hypothetical construct, is the aggregate or global capacity of the individual to act purposefully, to think rationally, and to deal effectively with his environment” - Wechsler What is Intelligence? What is Intelligence?
Background image of page 3

Info iconThis preview has intentionally blurred sections. Sign up to view the full version.

View Full DocumentRight Arrow Icon
What is Intelligence? What is Intelligence? Although experts differ on an exact definition of Although experts differ on an exact definition of intelligence most agree that intelligent behavior has intelligence most agree that intelligent behavior has at least two components: at least two components: 1. The ability to learn from experience. 2. The ability to adapt to the surrounding environment.
Background image of page 4
Factors of General Intelligence Tests Factors of General Intelligence Tests 1. Verbal Comprehension - vocabulary, verbal analogies 2. Number -- mathematical operations 3. Space - visual-spatial and mental transformation 4. Associative Memory -- rote memory 5. Perceptual Speed -- quickness in noticing similarities and differences 6. Reasoning - skill in inductive, deductive , and , and math problems math problems
Background image of page 5

Info iconThis preview has intentionally blurred sections. Sign up to view the full version.

View Full DocumentRight Arrow Icon
What Do We Know About IQ? What Do We Know About IQ? Predicts school grades relatively well Does not predict success in life Predicts 6% of job success Peaks in late teens Culture-bound, Gender Bias, SES Racial controversies Gets you in the door Professional schools (medicine, dentistry, law) Can help you get hired (Harvard MBA) Static
Background image of page 6
Non-Ability Factors’ Role: "…individuals with identical IQ's may differ very markedly in regard to their effective ability to cope with their environment…It is not possible to account for more than 50% to 70% of the intertest correlational variance after all recognizable intellectual factors are eliminated. This leaves any where from 30% to 50% of the total factorial variance unaccounted for. It is suggested that this residual variance is largely contributed by such factors as drive, energy, impulsiveness , etc." - Wechsler What is Emotionally Intelligent Behaviour?
Background image of page 7

Info iconThis preview has intentionally blurred sections. Sign up to view the full version.

View Full DocumentRight Arrow Icon
Where Did the Concept of Emotional Intelligence Where Did the Concept of Emotional Intelligence Come From? Come From? In 1983, Gardner first published his theory, derived from extensive brain research, on Multiple Intelligence including intrapersonal (self awareness/self management) and interpersonal (relationship awareness/management) Reuven Bar-On (1988) has placed EI in the context of personality theory, specifically a model of well-being Peter Salovey and John Mayer first proposed their theory of emotional intelligence (EI) in 1990 and defined it Goleman (1995-2003) has popularized the concept of emotional intelligence and formulated EI in terms of a theory of job and work performance
Background image of page 8
Image of page 9
This is the end of the preview. Sign up to access the rest of the document.

This note was uploaded on 04/29/2010 for the course ECON 345 taught by Professor Sumaila during the Fall '09 term at The University of British Columbia.

Page1 / 69

EQ Presentation - Is There Multiple Intelligence? EQ vs. IQ...

This preview shows document pages 1 - 9. Sign up to view the full document.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
Ask a homework question - tutors are online