MSU BIO216 Lecture - Week 1 Objective Assignment

MSU BIO216 Lecture - Week 1 Objective Assignment - BIOL216...

Info iconThis preview shows pages 1–3. Sign up to view the full content.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
BIOL216 Lecture Week 1 Objective Assignment Chapter 17: Blood Overview: Blood Composition and Functions 1. Describe the composition and physical characteristics of whole blood. Explain why it is classified as a connective tissue. Composition: Around 55% of the blood is made up of non-living matrix (plasma) constituting the fluid part of the blood. The living cells and platelets (formed elements) that are present in our blood make up the other 45%. Physical Characteristics: Sticky, opaque fluid with a characteristic metallic taste that varies in color from scarlet (oxygen rich) to dark red (oxygen poor). Blood is denser than water and is always slightly higher than the body's temperature. Blood is considered a type of connective tissue. Even though it has a different function in comparison to other connective tissues, it does have an extracellular matrix. The matrix is the plasma and erythrocytes, leukocytes and platelets are suspended in the plasma. Blood Plasma 1. Discuss the composition and functions of plasma. Composition: Plasma forms about 55% of blood and is composed of water (92%), nutrients, metabolic substances, inorganic ions, and pigment. Function: a. Maintains osmotic pressure and viscosity of blood b. Helps in transport of various substances (hormones, enzymes, etc.) c. Acts as a protein reservoir d. Helps in clotting of blood e. Helps in regulating body temperature Formed Elements 1. Describe the structure, function, and production of erythrocytes . Structure: Erythrocytes are oval, biconvex and nucleated. They are composed of an envelope and a spongy elastic substance called stroma. Inside the meshes of stroma is the iron pigment hemoglobin (a conjugated protein composed of a protein part globin and a non- protein pigment heme). Function: a. Carry oxygen and carbon dioxide b. Maintain the viscosity of blood c. Maintain acid-base balance d. Maintain ionic balance e. Disintegration of hemoglobin leads to formation of many other pigments like the bilirubin, biliverdin, etc. in the liver Production: Erythrocytes develop from bone marrow.
Background image of page 1

Info iconThis preview has intentionally blurred sections. Sign up to view the full version.

View Full DocumentRight Arrow Icon
BIOL216 Lecture Week 1 Objective Assignment 2. Describe the structure and function of platelets. Structure: Platelets are round biconvex cells that do not have a distinct nucleus. They are also called the thrombocytes. Function: a. Damaged platelets release a substance called thromboplastin. This sets in action, a series of reactions that result in the formation of clots. These clots block the site of the injury, avoiding excess loss of blood. b.
Background image of page 2
Image of page 3
This is the end of the preview. Sign up to access the rest of the document.

This note was uploaded on 05/07/2010 for the course BIOLOGY BIO 216 taught by Professor Tucker during the Spring '10 term at Mountain State.

Page1 / 5

MSU BIO216 Lecture - Week 1 Objective Assignment - BIOL216...

This preview shows document pages 1 - 3. Sign up to view the full document.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
Ask a homework question - tutors are online