– advertise, instruct, record ideas and images, supernatural/religious,
ceremonial, self-expression, social or political comment or protest. Reasons used for quite a
long time, advertising more recently than others.
, Pont d’Arc, France, c. 28,000 B.C. Donkeys, rhinos, bison
c. = circa, or approximately.
B.C. = before Christ, ( before the year 1) politically correct trying to get away from B.C. and
B.C. and A.D. to keep it simple.
1. i.e. = id est, Latin for “that is”
2. e.g. = exempli gratia, Latin for “for example”
3. etc. = et cetera, Latin for “and so on”
4. N.B. = Nota Bene, Italian for “note [this] well”
Bison out of reindeer antler
, example of Neolithic art, c. 10,000 B.C.